This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Just Figured Out,,,,i Have Been Glutening Myself...

chgomom

chgomom Enthusiast

I am soooo stupid. I want to cry.

I thougth these turkey burgers, were ok. Then I was feeling burning today and gassy...and just kinda blah.

I'm like alll I had was fruit...some of my IAN'S allergen free chicken nuggest....and this turkey burger plain...just the meat, that I cooked at home. So I go to the kitchen to investigate. Low and behold...there is an ingredient... maltodextrin. I said...malt....barley....I better look this up.

So I look it up and most ARE WHEAT based. I emailed the manufacturer...and theirs is wheat based.

OMG.....I am sooo...so down about this right now.....I should have known better. I should have known they tasted too good....

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

I am sorry you feel like crap. Maltodextrin is different than malt by the way and ok. The other thing you can do is get ground turkey meat and make your own burgers. My brother makes Porkin burgers, he uses ground pork and ground chicken and they are great and contain no gluten.

Lisa Mentor

oooohh, so sorry. Hope you feel better soon. And thanks for posting that, it might help someone else.

chgomom Enthusiast

I read malodestrin is ok...only if its corn or potatoe based...unless you have issues with those.

They they said some are wheat based...this manufacturer....is wheat based.

:blink:

I should have asked...its my own fault....I am so mad at me!

Rusla Enthusiast
I read malodestrin is ok...only if its corn or potatoe based...unless you have issues with those.

They they said some are wheat based...this manufacturer....is wheat based.

:blink:

I should have asked...its my own fault....I am so mad at me!

I hate when they start doing them in wheat, now they are taking something else from us. Don't be mad at you be mad at them for screwing up a safe food and why did they not list the wheat ingredient, idiots they are.

Guest nini

if it's from wheat, they are required (in the US) to declare wheat in the allergen statement at the bottom of the ingredients listing, so if they are not, that company needs to be made aware that they should.

Also in the US Maltodextrin is usually corn, if it's not it should be declared.

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

Some of the resources I have say that maltodextrin is SAFE for the gluten-free diet, even if it is made from wheat.

Check out Shelley Case's book on the gluten-free diet - there is detailed info about maltodextrin in there.

Apparently when it is produced it is highly purified and no gluten remains in the final product. So I don't think you've been glutening yourself at all.

I've been finding conflicting reports in other places though- for example on the Children's Digestive Health and Nutrition Foundation website, celiachealth.org, there is a series of slides for the treatment of celiac disease. Slide #9 says maltodextrin made from wheat is not safe.

Open Original Shared Link

Some consistency would be nice. It's confusing this way.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

dr green's book also mentions that maltodextrin is safe...and if it weren't, and was wheat related, bc of the 2006 labeling law, it would have to declare that it is wheat derived.

chgomom Enthusiast

Lots of things have modified food starch in them and it can be either corn or wheat based and they don't list it as an allergen....so it apparently not well enforced, or the law allows for it thorugh some loop hole.

I beleive it was those burgers....because everything else alone....when I have eaten them in the abscence of the burgers was fine. Now today I ate them all together and I got sick....prior to that eating them I thought they were fine....but thought it was a new product I was trying....I'm inclined not to think so...

so away they go....

I have to get back to basics the next week or two now....fruit, veggies, meats (all natural of course) and rice. Live and learn.

See this list....it definitely says may or may not be safe for celiacs.

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=185

Saz Explorer

Hey.

Sorry it made you fell all yuck.

Try not to beat yourself up to much about, Like somone else mentioned the company should really have stated it.

I have at time read through an ingredients list and completely missed out the wheat.

At least you know and can look out for it in the future.

Hope your feeling better.

eKatherine Rookie

Turkey has always made me feel that way. I think it's the turkey itself. Maybe you shouldn't be eating it. In the past I have ground my own chicken for burgers, using some dark meat for flavor and juiciness.

Gamecreature Rookie

Jennie-O has a listing of their gluten-free turkey products, including ground turkey and turkey franks. Here's the list (scroll down):

Open Original Shared Link

Nooner Newbie
I beleive it was those burgers....because everything else alone....when I have eaten them in the abscence of the burgers was fine. Now today I ate them all together and I got sick....prior to that eating them I thought they were fine....but thought it was a new product I was trying....I'm inclined not to think so...

so away they go....

When I eat chicken or turkey, I feel like I've been glutened. It doesn't matter what the source of the poultry is. How rude of the company not to disclose on the package the source of the maltodextrin. I hope you are feeling better by now!

I'm discovering that just because something is gluten free doesn't mean I won't react to it. I had some cocoa pebbles the other day. New box, no offending gluten, and it didn't even have soy, which I sometimes react to. I was so excited to be able to eat something junky again! I know, it's sad... Anyhow, about an hour later, I got the familiar symptoms. Either there was cross-contamination with the cereal in the manufacturing process (I ate them dry, straight out of the box) or, more likely, imo, I reacted to another ingredient.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but if your body says it doesn't like a food, it doesn't matter if it's gluten free or not. Listen to your body, it's always right!

By the way, I'm on the same newbie diet of fruit, veggies, meat, rice. Just no chicken/turkey for me!

~Li

amber-rose Contributor

What brand of turkey burgers was it? (so I know not to eat them.)

Archived