Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random Guy

Making My First Pizza Today

so to set this up, i'm a pizza fanatic who started this gluten free segment of my life in January 06.

I've had gluten free pizza once, and it was ok

so today i'm going to make myself a pizza

my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

i've got Gillian's frozen pizza dough.

i defrosted it in the refrigerator, as it says on the directions.

the next thing to do is lay if out on a dusted table.

dusted?

with what? not flour, like the normal dusted tables?

and to just use any soert of baking powder, or baking soda or corn starch or anything could change the whole consistency of the crust.

i know there's plenty of you out there that use these frozen pizza doughs. can you please provide some gluten-free guidance to someone whose cooking is limitted to things you boil (rice and quinoa)

thank very much in advance

-rg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Random Guy.

You could use rice flour or any gluten-free flour that you might have. Also, corn or potato starch. *Don't* use baking powder or soda....

I use potato starch for everything due to intolerances, and it works fine for dusting. I hope you enjoy your pizza :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

cornmeal?

:D I've been in and out--painting the deck. I thought of cornmeal, but I was all the way outside when I did--thanks for posting it! :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

so i used corn starch, thanks to jerseyangels quick response.

i was kneading the dough, just like the directions said, but it started sticking to my hands

and after a while, it was almost all stuck to my hands.

my kids heard me, obviously at a loss for what to do. one got a spoon, another a knife, and they scraped the dough off.

i used a rolling pin to flatten it out, but kind of was thinking it had all gone bad, and that it was all going to separate as it cooked

irregardless (i know, it's not a word), i spooned on my wife's homemade sauce, and the mozzarella that i'd shredded earlier, just like i've seen the pros do throughout my (pre-gluten-free) life.

then i topped half of it with peppers and onions i'd grilled earlier.

baked it up

it actually looked pretty good

the first taste - eh - not bad i guess.

but then somehow it gre on me. the consistency of the pizza crust stopped mattering all that much as i savored the cheese that had melted into the sauce, and baked on top, mmmmmmmmmm.

it got better and better with each bite, until i finished the entire thing (other than the bites that i shared with the family)

wow

pizza

mmmmmmmmm

thanks for the help

happy gluten free eating

-rg

so i used corn starch, thanks to jerseyangels quick response.

i was kneading the dough, just like the directions said, but it started sticking to my hands

and after a while, it was almost all stuck to my hands.

my kids heard me, obviously at a loss for what to do. one got a spoon, another a knife, and they scraped the dough off.

i used a rolling pin to flatten it out, but kind of was thinking it had all gone bad, and that it was all going to separate as it cooked

irregardless (i know, it's not a word), i spooned on my wife's homemade sauce, and the mozzarella that i'd shredded earlier, just like i've seen the pros do throughout my (pre-gluten-free) life.

then i topped half of it with peppers and onions i'd grilled earlier.

baked it up

it actually looked pretty good

the first taste - eh - not bad i guess.

but then somehow it gre on me. the consistency of the pizza crust stopped mattering all that much as i savored the cheese that had melted into the sauce, and baked on top, mmmmmmmmmm.

it got better and better with each bite, until i finished the entire thing (other than the bites that i shared with the family)

wow

pizza

mmmmmmmmm

thanks for the help

happy gluten free eating

-rg

OK, RG, Please hear what I have to say -- I'm from Chicago and I believe after 2 years, I've finally made a decent gluten-free pizza, AND I HAVE HIGH STANDARDS. I use Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix. It has the pizza crust recipe on the side. I add 1 tsp (not 2, like the recipe says) of Italian herbs. Also, I add 1/4 cup mozarrella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan. I place the crust on an oiled, then cornmealed stoneware pan. I pat it down with my gluten-free flour blend, and let it set for an hour. Then I bake it for 10 minutes (whatever temp the directions say), then, bring it out, top it as you choose, put it back in to finish baking. I've had people tell me that they cannot tell the difference. If you are serious about pizza, I recommend you try this. I won't have it any other way. (I hope this helps.) :rolleyes:

Oh stop stop..you people are killin me here :rolleyes: ..I have only been gluten free for a couple weeks....and I know I have a long road ahead of me..but one without pizza would make life not worth living !!!

I just got a box of Gluten-Free Pantry french bread & pizza mix...I am not going to make it right away...but I know it is sitting in the cupboard just waiting for me....Woohoo yeah me !!!!

you guys made me drool on myself... :P

Hypothyroidism since 2001

Negative Blood work celiacs

Negative biopsies for celiacs

Microscopic/lymphocytic colitis confirmed through biopsies..Dec 2006

I love your dog Mary Contrary! Is it a Miniature Schnauzer? Sorry to get off track with the pizza. I just became gluten free a few days ago. My last gluten meal was a Casey's Pizza. I was so sick from it all week end! I am not sure if I would like to try the pizza quite yet!

I might try these recipes you guys put up.

But I do really enjoy my ENER-G frozen pizza shells.

Easy preparation and less of a mess.

They are REALLY good.

I wonder if I'm just used to them and yours are even better?????

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish