Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brizzo

Msg Or Caramel Coloring

Seems like anything that I eat with MSG drives my DH bonkers ,,,,any thoughts? Caramel Coloring tends to drive me nuts sometimes too. Like in Kahlua.....but not so much with Coke.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm pretty sure Kahlua is gluten-free. Carmel coloring in the US is normally gluten-free, if not, it would have to be listed as an allergen.

MSG causes a lot of people problems, but is gluten-free, too.

Are you sure it's your DH that's getting aggravated and not exema or some other rash? You could be sensitive enough to MSG and something in the Kahlua to cause a rash.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Guest Robbin

Hi, I am one that gets sick from the caramel coloring sometimes, too. I think there are a lot of companies that are not listing or in compliance with the food labeling law.

This is only my opinion but I avoid carmel coloring like the plague. It may at times be safe but when I see statements like the ones that the Coke company uses it scares me away. When I found out that Coke uses the codex standards for gluten-free I realized why I seem to react to coke products. I am very, very sensitive and I do not trust the idea that something has had the gluten processed out enough to be safe. It is fairly common for barley to be used for carmel coloring and I just don't take the risk without confirming for myself that sugar is the only source for it.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

The rule of thumb my dietician gave me for caramel coloring is that it's probably made from sugar if it's in something sweet, like Coke, but otherwise might be made from grain. Unfortunately this rule doesn't always work. I've had bad reactions to caramel coloring in Woodchuck cider, and to caramel coloring in BBQ sauce that was labeled "gluten-free" on the shelf at Wild Oats.

DVT since 1991

lactose intolerant since 1993

celiac dx 2-05 by biopsy of small intestine

gluten-free since 3-05

I am not discounting others experiences only sharing mine. I have never had a problem with msg or carlmel coloring and I seem to be fairly sensitive. I do know that alot of people have issues with msg not to mention the fact that it is not good for anybody to eat.

I am of the opinion that the food labeling law is working and that companies comply. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Hez