Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

powderprincess

Bad Chili

I usually never go to places like chili's or even outback, however we had a department lunch at work last week and I noticed they had a gluten-free menu. I ordered very carefully and made sure they knew about celiac disease. I know you can't be 100% safe at a restaurant, but I was throwing caution to the wind and trusting their impressive list of menus with special needs.

I ate the lunch with my coworkers and then got a case of the brain fog. I wanted to curl up and go to sleep on the floor. Wanted to be home but knew I shouldn't drive. Staring at the computer screen was not helping. Then I had D that night and the next day and the day after that had odd clayish poop, and a touch of DH.

Next time I will be socially weird and bring my own lunch. The whole idea of it was a team building thing since everyone usually eats at their desk and doesn't speak to one another. I am not much of a team member if I am dizzy and in the bathroom. Next time, no Chili's, no way.

The moral of the story is: they have a gluten-free menu, but don't trust it. I don't want anyone to get sick if they don't have to, especially if they think it might be safe.

Visit to the er 4.1.06

blood test, positive for celiac disease 4.6.06

Endoscopy/biopsy/last day of gluten 5.25.06

Misdiagnosed for 2 decades. :( Feeling great now :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yikes! :( Yeah, unfortunatly in restaurants all it takes is one uninformed nitwit to screw the whole thing up.

I'd never eat soup or salad in a restaurant. Nitwits like to add things to soup, like flour. And in the nitwit language "no croutons" apparently means, "hide the croutons under the tomato slices". :P:lol:

I have eaten at our local Chili's several times with no trouble but I always order the same thing - the old timer burger, no bun and please clean the grill. (Just hoping the chef doesn't speak Nitwit.)

Which Chili's was it? In MA. . .?

Thanks Suicidal Turtle.

This Chili's was in the Lincoln Mall in Lincoln, RI.

I had Kettle Black beans, pico, salsa, guac, and rice, all from the gluten-free menu.

Alas. perhaps there was some nitwit speak.

Visit to the er 4.1.06

I am so sorry you got sick. I have always had a great reaction from Chilis. I have never gotten sick. I always get the manager involved. It seems to be that at Chilis if you involve the manager, it seems to work out.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I know it only takes one bad experience for me to stay away too.

I hope you feel better soon.

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I am so sorry you got sick. I have always had a great reaction from Chilis. I have never gotten sick. I always get the manager involved. It seems to be that at Chilis if you involve the manager, it seems to work out.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I know it only takes one bad experience for me to stay away too.

I hope you feel better soon.

That's a great idea TinkerbellSwt. I did not speak with the manager. And. . to give them some credit they did separate my food from the huge spread for the department. Still. . .

I let down my guard and it was that easy to get cc and sick. I prolly won't go to that one again, but it is a good lesson in never letting up. I tried to make less of a deal about it because it was a work thing, next time I will be much more careful and do more than trust the gluten-free menu.

Visit to the er 4.1.06