Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

powderprincess

Bad Chili

I usually never go to places like chili's or even outback, however we had a department lunch at work last week and I noticed they had a gluten-free menu. I ordered very carefully and made sure they knew about celiac disease. I know you can't be 100% safe at a restaurant, but I was throwing caution to the wind and trusting their impressive list of menus with special needs.

I ate the lunch with my coworkers and then got a case of the brain fog. I wanted to curl up and go to sleep on the floor. Wanted to be home but knew I shouldn't drive. Staring at the computer screen was not helping. Then I had D that night and the next day and the day after that had odd clayish poop, and a touch of DH.

Next time I will be socially weird and bring my own lunch. The whole idea of it was a team building thing since everyone usually eats at their desk and doesn't speak to one another. I am not much of a team member if I am dizzy and in the bathroom. Next time, no Chili's, no way.

The moral of the story is: they have a gluten-free menu, but don't trust it. I don't want anyone to get sick if they don't have to, especially if they think it might be safe.

Yikes! :( Yeah, unfortunatly in restaurants all it takes is one uninformed nitwit to screw the whole thing up.

I'd never eat soup or salad in a restaurant. Nitwits like to add things to soup, like flour. And in the nitwit language "no croutons" apparently means, "hide the croutons under the tomato slices". :P:lol:

I have eaten at our local Chili's several times with no trouble but I always order the same thing - the old timer burger, no bun and please clean the grill. (Just hoping the chef doesn't speak Nitwit.)

Which Chili's was it? In MA. . .?

Thanks Suicidal Turtle.

This Chili's was in the Lincoln Mall in Lincoln, RI.

I had Kettle Black beans, pico, salsa, guac, and rice, all from the gluten-free menu.

Alas. perhaps there was some nitwit speak.

I am so sorry you got sick. I have always had a great reaction from Chilis. I have never gotten sick. I always get the manager involved. It seems to be that at Chilis if you involve the manager, it seems to work out.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I know it only takes one bad experience for me to stay away too.

I hope you feel better soon.

I am so sorry you got sick. I have always had a great reaction from Chilis. I have never gotten sick. I always get the manager involved. It seems to be that at Chilis if you involve the manager, it seems to work out.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I know it only takes one bad experience for me to stay away too.

I hope you feel better soon.

That's a great idea TinkerbellSwt. I did not speak with the manager. And. . to give them some credit they did separate my food from the huge spread for the department. Still. . .

I let down my guard and it was that easy to get cc and sick. I prolly won't go to that one again, but it is a good lesson in never letting up. I tried to make less of a deal about it because it was a work thing, next time I will be much more careful and do more than trust the gluten-free menu.