Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest nini

Kefir

Guest nini

I used to drink Kefir all the time years ago for the probiotics, and was wondering if anyone drinks this stuff and if there are any brands that are or aren't gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yep, my family drinks the Lifeway brand Kefir. They have all sorts of great flavors. So far I have yet to find one with any gluten in it, but there may be one. We really like the Pomegranate flavored Kefir from Lifeway.

Natalie

Multiple allergies since 2 years old - 1979

Diagnosed with Endometriosis - February 1998

First visit to Gastroenterologist - 4/4/06

Negative Bloodwork - 4/4/06 (only IgG & TtG)

Gluten Free since 4/17/06

Colonoscopy - 5/8/06

Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant - 5/22/06

Celiac Disease suspected, but not confirmed due to going gluten free before biopsy

I was just gluten-free for a year before I was Gluten-free Casein-free and had kefir all the time. Man, that stuff was good. I never found one that wasn't gluten-free, but that was two years ago, and it certainly could happen. I got the brand my store carried that wasn't Lifeway (can't remember the name - got that one because it's the one they carried first). I'd check with the company to be doubly sure, of course.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Guest cassidy

I drink the Lifeway as well. How do you pronouce it? I like to say keefer, but I'm not sure that is correct.

Guest nini
I drink the Lifeway as well. How do you pronouce it? I like to say keefer, but I'm not sure that is correct.

I think that's how you say it! I don't really know!

All of my earthy-crunchy-hippy friends say keefer, so I say it that way too :P

I had the hardest time wrapping my brain around liquid yogurt, but I got over it. It's tasty and good for you!

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Yes! I loved Lifeway Kefir before I realized I was dairy intolerant early in my gluten-free days about a year ago. I am now successfully beginning to add dairy back into my diet (slowly). I haven't tried Kefir yet, but I am anxious to. I think it will really help that yucky gut feeling....it was strange, because in one way it made my stomach feel better while at the same time causing cramping and bloating....does that make sense? Anyway, I look forward to the beneficial effects of Kefir very soon without the bloating and cramping.

I liked the plain variety. And I think it's pronounced Kef er (short e in Kef) Somewhere on the Lifeway site is the pronunciation.

Enjoy! Yum! :D