Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic

Other Food Allergies Or Intolerances

Hi, my mom happens to work for a daycare center that's food services are funded by the state (they are a non profit organization). They just received a pre school aged boy to the program who happens to be allergic to wheat, milk, egg, and several other things. The state says that since the school supplies meals they need to try to meet the child's dietary needs before asking the mother to supply food. This is in an inner city, low income area. Here is my question: does anyone know of any food suppliers that make wheat free, dairy free, and egg free products? I am only familiar with gluten free foods as that is all my son needs but the egg and the dairy is really throwing us off. Maybe someone might even know of some good recipe books for this type of diet. Any ideas would be helpful.

Nicole

No, no help from me. But it comes to reason that perhaps the mother should be helpful her. Perhaps a diologue with the Mother could be a good source.

When I travel, I have gotten used to a crisp banana, with a scoop of Jiffy Peanutbutter. with tatter totts.(for the young one, fruit, protien, starch)

A mega meeger two cents. :(

It's probably best to keep it simple but here's a recipe site that has special diets in mind.

"Special Diet Solutions: Healthy Cooking w/o Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Yeast or Refined Sugar" by Carol Fenster was a good book (in a series, I believe). Let's you pick and choose what to leave in/out and gives good substitution suggestions.

"The Kid Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook: 150 recipes, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, and Low in Sugar" by Leslie Hammond

Thanks for the help. I know common sense would say ask the mother but sadly enough sometimes people are not educated enought in the needs of their own children. In the same school there was a mom who told them that her son could not have bread or pasta but could eat pizza. If you can't eat bread or pasta, how could you eat pizza. She just wasn't educated enough in it. Thanks again.

Nicole