This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bf With Possible Celiac

ShannonMarie

ShannonMarie Newbie

It is a long story but my boyfriend has been sick for 6 years. We have been together for a little over a year and we found out today that he is likely going to be put on a gluten free diet because his doctors says his biopsy wasn't conclusive but he thinks he has a variation of Celiac disease. He has to see a dermatolgist yet and then back to the gastrointoligist to find out for sure if he is going gluten free but it seems inevitable at this point.

1. I was wondering what I have to do to prevent passing gluten I injest to him. I plan on not eating gluten when we are together. I have read on the boards about it being passed through kissing.

2. Also if the dermatoligist determines his skin condition is related to Celiac Disease does that mean that that detergent, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, make-up and anything I use that could come in contact with him needs to be gluten free?

3. Also what about utensils, pot and pans, things used to cook that I cook my gluten food in when he isn't here. If they are washed thoroughly should these be a problem?

4. and on a side note does anyone know how to make or where I can get a recipe for gluten free strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting? they are his favorites. I made them for him this weekend just in case it was the last time he could have them cause we knew he might be getting this diagnosis today.

Just wondering so that I can make sure I am helping him get better and not accidentally making him sick.

I know that is a lot of questions in one post. Sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice
1. I was wondering what I have to do to prevent passing gluten I injest to him. I plan on not eating gluten when we are together. I have read on the boards about it being passed through kissing. what about other things?

2. Also if the dermatoligist determines his skin condition is related to Celiac Disease does that mean that that detergent, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, make-up and anything I use that could come in contact with him needs to be gluten free?

3. Also what about utensils, pot and pans, things used to cook that I cook my gluten food in when he isn't here. If they are washed thoroughly should these be a problem?

4. and on a side note does anyone know how to make or where I can get a recipe for gluten free strawberry cupcake with cream cheese frosting? they are his favorites. I made them for him this weekend just in case it was the last time he could have them cause we knew he might be getting this diagnosis today.

First of all, welcome! And let me say I think it's really sweet that you're taking this so seriously, your boyfriend is a lucky guy! :)

1. The deal with kissing is just if you still have traces of what you ate or drank in your mouth or on your lips. My husband usually rinses with a little water and wipes his mouth after eating before he kisses me, so far I've never gotten sick this way. Or if he didn't wipe his mouth, he warns me "you don't want to kiss me now" and offers a cheek instead. Or a hug... :wub:

2. this one I don't know for sure, maybe someone with DH will chime in.

3. They shouldn't be a problem, unless they're old and scratched. Basically anything that has nicks and grooves (think old cutting board, wooden spoons, colanders!) that can't be cleaned thoroughly could be a problem, but porcelain dishes, stainless stell pans, that sort of thing that cleans easily, is ok. Don't use the same toaster!

4. I don't know a recipe, but again, that's so sweet! :) I hope someone will know.

Hope this helps

Pauliina

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

I hope that your bf will get diagnosed, if he does have celiac disease than things should really improve now.

He's lucky because you "get it". Many people with celiac disease have a problem because their loved ones just don't understand, but it certainly sounds like you do. You're thinking and looking for possible ways that he could accidentally come in contact with gluten- this is what is important.

Having separate containers for butter/margarine will be helpful- using different brands makes it easy to distinguish the gluten-free margarine from the contaminated one. Also- condiments (mayonaise, jam, peanut butter, etc.) can get contaminated too. Squeeze bottles are a good choice- ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, etc.

Have some fun and don't get too stressed about it at the beginning. The diet takes a little while to get used to- but there are so many safe foods, especially if you keep to the outside areas of the grocery store and avoid the middle aisles. Some of the gluten-free foods you try in the beginning may not taste great- so laugh about it together and try some different ones. There are a lot of foods available, and some really good ones too.

I really appreciated my dh's attitude when it was all so new to me a couple of months ago- he was positive and he made it fun, and it "got it" too.

Suzie

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice
4. and on a side note does anyone know how to make or where I can get a recipe for gluten free strawberry cupcake with cream cheese frosting? they are his favorites. I made them for him this weekend just in case it was the last time he could have them cause we knew he might be getting this diagnosis today.

I haven't tried converting any of my old recipes to gluten-free yet. But I've been doing some reading.

One site I found suggested the country french bread & pizza mix from Gluten-Free Pantry as a substitute for all-purpose wheat flour- substitute in a 1:1 ratio for the flour in your original recipe.

There are lots of different gluten-free flour mixes available to buy or recipes you can use to make your own mix. I'd suggest buying a pre-packaged mix to start with instead of buying all of the different flours and rising agents.

debmidge Rising Star

when making cake, make sure the beaters are either new or cleaned very well. Those beaters could have been used in making regular gluten cakes in their past lives...

Archived