Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Kathy Ann

Does It Do Any Good?

Guest Kathy Ann

I have multiple allergies. As a result I can't use MOST of what is on the shelf because it always has at least ONE ingredient I can't have. <_< But if companies would try to at least avoid the BIG 8 ALLERGENS and leave them out, a lot of us could enjoy more things. I see no reason why a great company with a perfect product otherwise, has to include cornstarch when there are other less allergic ones that will do just as well. That's just one example. Or why does all chocolate have to have soy lecithin when there are other emulsifiers, or cane sugar when beet sugar is less allergenic and just as cheap? Same with eggs being in things and on and on.

Does it do any good to call companies? Would they pay any attention to such a suggestion? Any of you have experience with things changing because you called? It just seems LOGICAL to me that if I owned a food company and wanted to reach the biggest niche, I would AUTOMATICALLY avoid those big allergens so I could reach the most people. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think most businesses let the market dictate. And until they see a major response from the general public requesting the exclusion of major allergens, they are going to keep producing whatever is cheapest. Sad...I know. But it won't do any harm to keep on writing letters and emails and making phone calls.

I'm in school right now for HRTM - Hotel, restaurant tourism mgmt. One of the thigns that keeps coming up is brand loyalty. And I always think of Celiacs and how ever since finding out about my intolerance a few months ago, I will forever be purchasing products by Unilever, McCormick and Kraft, to name a few.

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Guest Kathy Ann

One of these days the big companies (and little ones too) are going to realize what a HUGE CAPTIVE AUDIENCE the celiac people are. When they see how loyal (by necessity) we are, they surely will conclude that catering to us just makes good marketing sense.

I get the impression that the companies really don't care...they do what they like anyway despite any word from the contrary. For example, Benefiber from Novartis now contains wheat in a small amount yet they claim it's gluten free. This is a change from their past formula. Now if they've been checking current events (i.e., more people being diagnosed with celiac disease than ever before, etc.) they would never have changed the formula. So who's making these decisions?

I wrote to them & got the form letter response about how they welcome comments both positive and negative (??) "They are one of the best means we have of finding out if we are meeting your needs through the products we market. Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with the appropriate departments."

Yeah, right. If this was really done, then they would NOT have added Wheat Dextrin to the formula.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003