Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DelphicDragon

What Does This Mean?

Hi everybody-

I just got my test results back and I am so confused. My doctor has "never seen anything like that before" :blink: . I was hoping someone here might have seem something similar or can tell me a little more about what this means.

Gliadin Ab (IgA) = <3

Reference Ranges: Less than 11 = Negative

Greater than 17 = Positive

Gliadin Ab (IgG) = 24

Greater than 17 = Postive

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgG = <3

Reference Ranges: Less than 7 = Negative

Greater than 10 = Postive

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA = <3

Reference Ranges: Less than 5 = Negative

Greater than 8 = Postive

Won't see my GI doc until Thursday (I got the results from my GP).

Sara

Hi everybody-

I just got my test results back and I am so confused. My doctor has "never seen anything like that before" :blink: . I was hoping someone here might have seem something similar or can tell me a little more about what this means.

Gliadin Ab (IgA) = <3

Greater than 17 = Positive

Gliadin Ab (IgG) = 24

Greater than 17 = Postive

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgG = <3

Reference Ranges: Less than 7 = Negative

Greater than 10 = Postive

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA = <3

Reference Ranges: Less than 5 = Negative

Greater than 8 = Postive

Won't see my GI doc until Thursday (I got the results from my GP).

Sara

Sara,

I have no brilliant insight but hopefully someone else will post. The interesting number seems to be the Gliadin= 24, but I can't remember the particulars of that test. Would your doctor elaborate for you if you ask him/her? It's so difficult to be on our own! Wish you well- sorry I'm not much help.

lisa

If they didn't do a total IgA test, those two IgA numbers don't tell you anything. (They say you barely have any water in your glass, but you don't know if you have a really, really, tiny glass. A small minority of celiacs are IgA deficient.)

the tTg IgG generally only shows up positive once sufficient damage to the intestines has been done, so I would say that you are reacting to gliandin (or you wouldn't be positive on antibodies to it) but probably don't have extensive intestinal damage yet. it's certainly not conclusive for celiac (by most doctor's standards, and I'd probably agree) but there be flags a-wavin'! :)

if those were my results, I'd probably ask for a total IgA test, then, after the blood draw, try the gluten-free diet for a month, then challenge with a lovely gluten-free-filled week (or just a meal) and see how I did in both cases. but, that's me.

This has some basic explantions. Labs Online - Antibody tests

I don't see where your Doc was so shocked tho? Your IGG is elevated . . ?

Oh, duh :rolleyes: . Your IGA is low. Mine was too, a 6 I think. I never officially got tested for Selective IGA Deficiency tho I probably should. Do you have a history of recurrent sinus infections, colds, eye infections? Here's a link.