Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theprincess

My Dog Is A Major Faker

This really relates to nothing at all but I am still crackin up.

When Mark and I came home from church tonight Bella got out of her cage just fine. Then she got scolded for getting away from Mark outside (he has this new thing where he takes her off of her leash despite my protests) and all of the sudden, she was holding her leg up. She had a really sad face on and we were trying to figure out if she hurt it. Then when I was trying to examine it she turned around and accidentally limped on the WRONG LEG! She then continued to hold up the "un-injured" leg. After she had a treat her leg(s) were miraculously healed!!! Amazing. Our dog now fakes injuries to get treats. haha and badly, too. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That is too funny! My dog (pictured) had major surgery in July and my daughter claims he is still milking me for attention. Of course, how could I deny a cute face like that! :P

I'm glad there was nothing truly wrong with your dog! It will be interesting to see if she tries this again!

OMG! That's hilarious! They certainly aren't stupid, are they??? (Although my current golden retriever Buddy could be in the running for that title..... :lol: )

We used to have a maltese Nickie and another golden Cinci (short for Cincinnati, my husband is a Reds fan). Anyway, when we would let both of the out in the backyard to do their business, Cinci would do the dopey dog, go do her business, not care who was watching, etc. Nickie on the other hand, felt he needed some privacy. <_< He would sniff around a few minutes then come up to the sliding glass door and scratch to come in. As soon as Cinci saw this, she did her "Oh! Oh! You going in??? So am I!!!!!" routine and would come just behind Nickie. As soon as opened the door, Cinci would jump over Nickie to be the first on in, and then Nickie would calmly turn around and walk away back into the backyard to do his business in peace! Cinci was sooooo gullible! :rolleyes: This happened every single day, and do you think she ever caught on????? :lol:

They did have quite a special bond, though. As Nickie got older and couldn't get up on the couch by himself anymore, he would put his front legs on the couch to indicate he wanted up, and then Cinci would come up behind him, put her snout between his hind legs and "flip" him up onto the couch..... It was toooooo cute!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

HOW SWEET! Since we don't have any human babies yet, Bella is our puppy baby. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Our dog doesn't understand modesty yet. Yesterday she went to the bathroom while like four people from the apartment complex talked to her. ::DOH::

Some dogs have mastered the fine art of faking it :D

We get to hear all sorts of stories from owners and its hilarious. One dog had been home alone for what the dog deemed "too long"...and greeted his owners while dragging himself across the floor with his back end dragging and he was "talking/moaning" as he dragged himself there. They got a blanket and went to put him on it for a trip tp the vet...so hubby says : I'll get the car. At the sound of the word: car...dog jumped up and was ready to go.

The limping dog trick is a common tactic for attention, often for smaller dogs, it means owner will carry them ..."cool, I get a ride" they must say to themselves.

Other dogs who have had previously injured limbs and got extra attention will revert to liming and many will forget which leg and as they walk ..they might stop and sniff someting, then start walking - carrying the other leg

They have to be pretty smart to figure out these things, its worked on me a few times..and I swear that when you say "my goodness you're a faker arent you?" they wag their tail furiously like they are saying "arent I magnificent, I fooled ya!"

Who says dogs dont know how to manipulate! :blink::lol::lol:

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

That's very cute.

I used to have a cat that would do that when she wanted tuna.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Karen, Buddy isn't THAT stupid -- not quite, anyway!!

Leave it to my daughter to get me a grand-dog who isn't a good faker . . . hmmmmm . . both my kids were!!! Just kidding, Ash. Actually, Bella is a very sweet little dog. She is definitely a keeper! She's pretty funny. If I talk really softly to her and call her over, she comes over like this sweet little thing, and I'm petting her. My mother's dog -- who obviously has ADHD -- has to butt in and NOT subtly, comes running up, bumps into Bella, and all of the sudden Bella, who formerly was this quiet, soft baby, turns around and makes this "unusual" growling noise!! It is HYSTERICALLY funny!

My favorite part about her, though -- she's part Shih Tzu -- and she has this great underbite! It makes me giggle when I see her. Because of it, Ashley has to brush Bella's teeth -- and Bella LOVES it!!!!! I think that is so funny -- not that she has to brush the teeth, but Bella loves it!!!!!!!

Karen, your Nickie and Cinci story made me cry . . . that is so sweet. They really do take care of each other, don't they?

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

That is too funny! Thanks for posting...with all our issues, it is always nice to read non-Celiac things that make us chuckle!

We don't have children yet (age 25), nor do we have dogs yet (just moved to a house--so maybe one day!), but we do have cats (and I'm not even a cat person)----and they are my babies, too! They really dobecome part of your family.

Hope you are having a great night!

Laura