This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Carnation Instant Breakfast

Guest cassidy

Guest cassidy

Someone here recommended carnation instant breakfast and I got the vanilla and loved it.

I tried it one night and was fine and then had it the next day and had D about 45 minutes later. I wasn't sure it was the instant breakfast because I also had a juice smoothie and I didn't know if it was just all the fruit. I had the instant breakfast again today and was running to the bathroom 45 minutes later.

Other than that symptom I can't tell if I'm feel glutened because I'm pregnant and I've been feeling nauseous, tired, headachy, having to pee all the time and just plain crappy for months now and those are my basic glutening symptoms (plus the D which I haven't been having).

I really don't feel like eating and drinking was much easier, but now I'm pretty scared of the stuff. Has anyone else had a problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

My son has this every day (rich chocolate flavor) and hasn't had any issues at all. He is pretty sensitive to gluten, too, so I would think if there was an issue, he would have some kind of stomach pain.

Are you lactose, casein or soy intolerant? I think all of the above are in the instant breakfast.

frenchiemama Collaborator

Did you get the powdered kind or the ready to drink kind? I don't know anything about the powder, but I know for a fact that the vanilla ready to drink has gluten in it.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

My gluten-eating son had a period of time where he had one powdered Carnation instant breakfast daily. After about a week he had a bit of "D", so it may be too much "whatever" in there. Now he has them periocially, but never daily and he hasn't had any more problems. The powdered vanilla, chocolate, cappuccino and strawberry are gluten-free in Canada - or at least the chocolate and the vanilla still are, we haven't had the other two for a while, they may have quit making the cappuccino.

lovegrov Collaborator

The vanilla ready to drink does indeed clearly list barley. The powder does not.

richard

tiffjake Enthusiast

From their website:

7.Do NESTLÉ CARNATION INSTANT BREAKFAST products contain gluten?

The flavorings used in NESTLÉ CARNATION INSTANT BREAKFAST Ready-To-Drink contain barley extracts, which contribute less than 1 part per million of barley gluten in the final product. We have recently added a statement to the label indicating the existence of barley in these products. The products have not changed, but, as a service to our consumers, we chose to disclose all sources of gluten. The degree of sensitivity to gluten varies among individuals, please discuss with your physician if you have concerns.

For our Powders, the only variety containing gluten is Classic Chocolate Malt, which has wheat flour and barley extracts. All other Powder varieties do not contain gluten.

Guest cassidy

I had the powdered vanilla and I don't have any other sensitivities. Maybe I'll give it a few days and try it again because I didn't have a reaction the first time. I was a bit concerned because it has a lot of vitamins and I'm on prenatal vitamins which have at least 100% of everything, so I don't know that I need like 200% of every vitamin.

I think I would rather just drink milk but I hate the taste - I need something to flavor the milk so it is drinkable and I really don't like chocolate, or I didn't like chocolate before now, but now who knows.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived