Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FeedIndy

Where Do You Shop?

I have been shopping Wild Oats because it is right down the street, but it's quite expensive. I have also recently found a decent gluten free section at Meijer, which helps. I have heard Trader Joe's sells many of the same things as Wild Oats at a lower price. There is one about 25 minutes from here, so not too out of the way if the deals are worth it.

Thoughts?

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Your user name caught my eye - our cat is named Indy, so you'll hear a lot of "go feed Indy" in our house :P

Anyway... I shop regularly at Trader Joe's, I eat a lot of cashew and almond butter and it is literally half the price as found in any other store. They also carry Sharon's sorbet - the lemon is fantastic!! Definitely go check it out.

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

I shop at Meijer mostly, but when I need specialty foods I go to Raisin Rack (local health food store), Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. TJ & WF are farther away, though and I only go there if I can't get what I need at the other 2 places.

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

I don't have a Whole foods/Wild Oats/ Trader Joe's around me. I do most of my shopping at Wegmans in Scranton at the moment. Soon our new Wegmans is going to be built and then I will have a local one!

I also shop at the Gluten Free Source in Dillsburg, the couple who runs that store are very helpful and so friendly. I enjoy going there and the selection is out of this world.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I do all of my daily shopping at Wal-mart. Their prices are competitive and their store brand (GV) clearly labels gluten-free. I've found so many things that I never thought I'd have again thanks to GV brand. The best part is, they label whether or not the product is made in a facility that processes wheat so I can be relatively sure that there's little to no chance of CC. I really trust GV brand and I've never had a problem.

For my gluten free specialty foods I usually shop online at www.shopbydiet.com and www.kinnikinnick.com. Kinnikinnick is great for pre-made breads, bagels, cookies, and baking needs. ShopByDiet is great for everything else. It's kind of a one-stop shop and they do other allergies too, so it makes shopping for multiple intolerances really easy. Their prices are some of the best that I've found also. They have weekly specials so you can stock up on favorite foods. Most of all, they have a HUGE selection and orders come packed very nicely. I've had no problems with things coming to me damaged or broken. Even crackers are generally in perfect condition from them.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I shop at Whole Foods...I don't buy a LOT of gluten-free products because I'm trying NOT to eat a lot of processed foods of ANY kind, lol, but I do ocassionally indulge in a chocolate bumble bar if I can find one, or a bit of gluten/casein free chocolate. Whole Foods has the best selection of that type of thing and of organic meats and veggies and such. I'm trying to stay organic as much as possible so have resigned myself to the fact that I will just have to spend more to get it. :(

I do most of my shopping at Wegmans--I love that store! Since I don't buy many specialty products (and the ones I do buy, they have--this includes my hair, skin and teeth products, too) I don't really need to go anywhere else. The only thing I go to Whole Foods for now is Boylan's Soda--and that only occasionally.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest cassidy

I start was wal-mart and get what I can there. Then I go to Publix and get what I can there. Then I go to one of many health food stores and get what I like at each. I don't do all that each week, just when I need stuff. I have found Wild Oats more expensive than the local stores.