This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cbs Sunday Morning

jaten

jaten Enthusiast

Did anyone else happen to catch CBS Sunday Morning today? They did about a 5 minute segment called Dangerous Dining.

The first focus was on a family with children with multiple food allergies. About 3.5 minutes in they cut to Chef Ming Tsai of the Blue Ginger in Boston who welcomes all food-allergic people. He has a son with multiple allergies, and he said it's so unfair for people with allergies (intolerances) to not be able to eat out. In his restaurant they focused on a lady who has a "gluten allergy." She explained how her food was cooked in a separate wok so it wouldn't touch other foods and how he made a special sauce just for her.

It was short but oh so sweet! You can read the transcript and see the video here.

Open Original Shared Link

I think these small touches in the media are WONDERFUL for us eventhough Celiac wasn't mentioned by name, I bet that's exactly what the "gluten allergy" was really all about. But I don't care. Food intolerances were recognized for their seriousness, and a Chef who's doing the right thing, got positive coverage :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I saw it, I thought it was well done. I would LOVE to eat at that chef's restaurant. He was soo aware of food allergies. I LOVED the book that he had made for each of his recipes. It highlighted any allergen that was in the recipe so it could be easily identified. Very cool.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Did anyone else happen to catch CBS Sunday Morning today? They did about a 5 minute segment called Dangerous Dining.

The first focus was on a family with children with multiple food allergies. About 3.5 minutes in they cut to Chef Ming Tsai of the Blue Ginger in Boston who welcomes all food-allergic people. He has a son with multiple allergies, and he said it's so unfair for people with allergies (intolerances) to not be able to eat out. In his restaurant they focused on a lady who has a "gluten allergy." She explained how her food was cooked in a separate wok so it wouldn't touch other foods and how he made a special sauce just for her.

It was short but oh so sweet! You can read the transcript and see the video here.

I think these small touches in the media are WONDERFUL for us eventhough Celiac wasn't mentioned by name, I bet that's exactly what the "gluten allergy" was really all about. But I don't care. Food intolerances were recognized for their seriousness, and a Chef who's doing the right thing, got positive coverage :)

lovegrov Collaborator

I saw it. Great!!! They talked about a wheat or gluten allergy, but in his restaurant all you'd have to worry about is wheat. And the book there has every one of the 8 top allergens in each dish. AND the staff is definitely aware of CC.

richard

jaten Enthusiast

Yes, I, too, would love the opportunity to eat in his restaurant. Boston is one of the few areas in this country I haven't traveled. Hmmmmm.....

I went to his website just now, and it says that his shelf and frozen foods can be purchased through Super Targets. Has anyone tried these? With his understanding (and personal interest) in food intolerances/allergies, I would expect his meals to reflect very accurate ingredient labeling. Makes me wonder if there is an untapped source of frozen gluten-free meals waiting for me next time I am in a Super Target??? Does anybody know?

Gamecreature Rookie
I went to his website just now, and it says that his shelf and frozen foods can be purchased through Super Targets. Has anyone tried these? With his understanding (and personal interest) in food intolerances/allergies, I would expect his meals to reflect very accurate ingredient labeling. Makes me wonder if there is an untapped source of frozen gluten-free meals waiting for me next time I am in a Super Target??? Does anybody know?

Could you share that link?

KayJay Enthusiast

I saw it too and thought it was great!

Here is a link that is neat they said coming in the fall. So maybe soon!

Gamecreature Rookie

Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaten Enthusiast

I used that site this a.m. to send an e-mail to the Chef Ming Tsai's Customer Care (the only e-mail addy I could find). I expressed my appreciation for the safe haven he's providing to people with food intolerances that are living in/visiting that area. I also appreciate the example he's setting for other chefs.

Floridanative had a good idea..... We should let CBS know how much we appreciate their recent attention to Celiac and other food intolerances!

Archived