Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Has anyone tried putting together a co-op with other celiacs in their area to buy common gluten-free items in bulk? Has it worked and if yes, how do you run it? Thanks for any info!

I'm part of a co-op, although I don't run it. We buy from this buying club. www.unitedbuyingclubs.com

Unfortunately they aren't nationwide, but if you click on find a buying club you can see if there is already a group set up in your area.

They have a price list/catalog with 1,000s of items (gluten-free, organic, dairy free, etc.) they have most of the popular brands that you can purchase by the case at a discount. There is no membership fee, you just pay $12/ yr for a monthly subscription to the catalog/pricelist. The only shipping fee is around $1-$3 as a fuel surcharge - the order is delivered by a semi and the members unload the truck.

It really works well for me. There aren't any large Whole Foods type stores around here, so this gives me access to a MUCH greater variety of gluten-free foods.

I hope this helps. :)

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

I buy from UNBC also. Sometimes someone will want a box or two of what I buy, but mostly I jsut get the cases of things. It is nice so that I have staples on hand and don't have to run into the health food store for special things all the time. THe local grocery has more and more, but I bake a lot and so it is cheaper for me to buy bulk.