This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Allergy?

shai76

shai76 Explorer

I've been on an elimination diet for my allergies, since it seems I've developed more judging by my chronic hives, eczema and asthma. Anyway, I went down to just eating rice and some meats. Any time I eat, even just rice, I wheeze and break out in hives. My eczema is worse than ever. I've been eating rice for breakfast lunch and dinner, and I am always sick, so I'm farily certain that is what is causing it. My allergist doesn't want to do more tests on me since it always turns up I'm allergic to everything, and she is sort of mad (at me, I guess) because her "wonderful" immunotherapy plan isn't working any more. They act like it is my fault, like it is something I am doing wrong. I'm ready to quit immunotherapy, quit allergists, and hide under my blankets in bed for awhile. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Shai,

I'm sorry. :( I don't have any words of wisdom to add. Just want to offer my support and give you a cyber HUG.

shai76 Explorer
Shai,

I'm sorry. :( I don't have any words of wisdom to add. Just want to offer my support and give you a cyber HUG.

Thanks. I'm just wondering why a lot of us just keep developing new allergies all the time.

Budew Rookie

I am so tired of doctors acting like this is my fault. I too keep eliminating one thing after another. Even when I shared with a smile I suspected corn, my doctor said, no way, get real, you have to eat something.

Well yeah but I would like to know that what I am eating is not making me sick.

I called the hospital that diagnosed me. I was soo nice. I said I was calling for information for dealing with the complications of untreated celiac. That I did not get them when I was diagnosed because I was fine then, but now I have been sick for 5 years and was hoping they could give me any info they had. She grilled me about exposure to gluten, and said the only reason people who are diagnosed continue to be ill is because they aren't following the diet. She as so mad she hung up on me. I am stunned.

I got a similar reaction from the local celiac group. She had never heard anyone who was gluten free that didn't get better. Or anyone taking enzymes to assist the healing process.

I don't understand why there is so much denial.

Nooner Newbie

I'm so sorry you are going through this. :(

I'm really no help, I don't have any experience with reactions like yours, the wheezing and hives. Are you able to have teff, quinoa, or millet? Or do they bother you because they are seeds?

The only thing I can think of is to rotate the things you can eat. I think I read someplace on the board that eating the same things every day can make us sensitive to them.

I hope you can find some relief!

lorka150 Collaborator

I'm allergic to rice, and have been from the get-go. It's not really that hard - I've never tried a pre-made gluten-free product though! THAT was frustrating at the beginning. However, if everything is causing you a problem, it might be something else - not every single food. I'm not that much help in that case, but wanted to assure you a rice allergy is not bad at all.

daffadilly Apprentice

For those having a lot of problems, I have a couple suggestions,

one check out the specific carbohydrate diet, you can google it, there is a site called pecan bread or something like that.

two: do not eat any grains of any kind - gluten-free or otherwise

three; do not eat beef or farm raised shrimp and fish because the grains in the feed, antibiotics, pollutions, chemicals, etc could be causing you problems

four: check out all the allergy information you can find. look into a rotation diet

five: cut out all artificial sugar - unless a diabetic, no colas either

six: eat plainly prepared whole foods & see item 4

seven: this is not forever - the mystery of allergies is that they come & they go...

eight: oh yeah, you should probably give up dairy

nine: get at least 8 hours sleep a night & drink bottled water

ten: exercise to boost your immune system

11. check into iodine that is in your salt - maybe switch to sea salt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

while western docs seem to think rice is hypo-allergenic, if you look at the rates of rice allergy in countries that use it more often - asian and mid-eastern countries in particular - you'll find find that it's *far* more common that docs here think. it's not really that uncommon.

lorka150 Collaborator
while western docs seem to think rice is hypo-allergenic, if you look at the rates of rice allergy in countries that use it more often - asian and mid-eastern countries in particular - you'll find find that it's *far* more common that docs here think. it's not really that uncommon.

one doctor told me that... i said, 'then how come i have trouble breathing and get hives when i eat it, followed by diarrhea and stomach pain? there must be some sort of issue with it.'

he sort of just stared at me. and so, i did many 'personal' test, including rice of all sorts, with no other foods, and same thing. i do it every few months, as i often test my other sensitivities (other than casein and, obviously, gluten).

silly doctors. :)

shai76 Explorer
I'm allergic to rice, and have been from the get-go. It's not really that hard - I've never tried a pre-made gluten-free product though! THAT was frustrating at the beginning. However, if everything is causing you a problem, it might be something else - not every single food. I'm not that much help in that case, but wanted to assure you a rice allergy is not bad at all.

I thought it might be something else too, but I was RAST tested for a bunch of stuff and it came out high positives. The doctor had me do an elimination diet based on the results and whenever I included those things back in my diet I got eczema, hives, asthma, and stomach problems. So once I eliminated them for good I got better. But now I am developing symptoms again whenever I eat rice. I just started eating a ton of rice because it was one of the only grains I can eat, and I ended up becoming sensitive to it.

Budew Rookie
For those having a lot of problems, I have a couple suggestions,

one check out the specific carbohydrate diet, you can google it, there is a site called pecan bread or something like that.

two: do not eat any grains of any kind - gluten-free or otherwise

three; do not eat beef or farm raised shrimp and fish because the grains in the feed, antibiotics, pollutions, chemicals, etc could be causing you problems

four: check out all the allergy information you can find. look into a rotation diet

five: cut out all artificial sugar - unless a diabetic, no colas either

six: eat plainly prepared whole foods & see item 4

seven: this is not forever - the mystery of allergies is that they come & they go...

eight: oh yeah, you should probably give up dairy

nine: get at least 8 hours sleep a night & drink bottled water

ten: exercise to boost your immune system

11. check into iodine that is in your salt - maybe switch to sea salt

1-10 sound okay but I ? sea salt if iodine is a problem, sea anything is loaded with iodine

I buy uniodonized salt in the supermarket

Budew

lorka150 Collaborator
I thought it might be something else too, but I was RAST tested for a bunch of stuff and it came out high positives. The doctor had me do an elimination diet based on the results and whenever I included those things back in my diet I got eczema, hives, asthma, and stomach problems. So once I eliminated them for good I got better. But now I am developing symptoms again whenever I eat rice. I just started eating a ton of rice because it was one of the only grains I can eat, and I ended up becoming sensitive to it.

shai - that didn't happen to me (eating too much), but because i am a vegetarian, and casein free, and won't eat eggs, and have limited grains (also allergic to buckwheat), i LOVE soy. tofu has always been one of my favourite foods, and i have feared becoming sensitive to it. same with nuts and peanuts... i eat hearty amounts of all three daily. luckily, it hasn't happened. i hope you feel better.

shai76 Explorer
shai - that didn't happen to me (eating too much), but because i am a vegetarian, and casein free, and won't eat eggs, and have limited grains (also allergic to buckwheat), i LOVE soy. tofu has always been one of my favourite foods, and i have feared becoming sensitive to it. same with nuts and peanuts... i eat hearty amounts of all three daily. luckily, it hasn't happened. i hope you feel better.

I used to be a vegan before developing all these allergies. Back then I was just allergic to eggs and milk. I loived soy too. Soy cheese, soy milk, the toffuti sour cream....now I am VERY allergic to it. I'm considered a class 3, which means it can kill me.

I got used to eating meat again. Now I just eat what I can. I felt kind of bad about it, but now I just try not to think about where it comes from because I don't have much of a choice. :/

Archived