This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Preschool-need Advice

hannahsue01

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I am going to have to go explain this whole celiac thing to my daughters preschool. They have already said that the nutritionist would provide her the right food. But they also seemed to think we were nuts when we gave them a brieve explanation earlier this year. I have heard that paints and playdos can have gluten in them. Does anyone know of some gluten free brands of these things. Is there anything else I should be looking out for that has gluten in it that she would be using there or at home. She does seem to have her hands around her face allot so that concerns me. Any advice anyone has on what to tell these people would be helpfull. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I don't have time to go into it right now, but please PM me and I'll tell you all about how we handled it at my daughter's preschool and now how we handle it in first grade.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
I don't have time to go into it right now, but please PM me and I'll tell you all about how we handled it at my daughter's preschool and now how we handle it in first grade.

Thanks....any help would be great!!!

shayesmom Rookie
I am going to have to go explain this whole celiac thing to my daughters preschool. They have already said that the nutritionist would provide her the right food. But they also seemed to think we were nuts when we gave them a brieve explanation earlier this year. I have heard that paints and playdos can have gluten in them. Does anyone know of some gluten free brands of these things. Is there anything else I should be looking out for that has gluten in it that she would be using there or at home. She does seem to have her hands around her face allot so that concerns me. Any advice anyone has on what to tell these people would be helpfull. Thanks.

My dd started pre-k this year and it was one heck of an adventure trying to see our way through all of the accidental glutenings.

I can tell you this much, it is very difficult to have the teachers and everyone else understand the severity of the reaction to gluten. But is even more difficult to get past the issue of cross contamination. It's doable....but difficult. We also had issues because dd has mutliple food intolerances. I can offer you a few bits of advice....and do what works for you from there.

My dd's pre-k teacher provided me with a monthly snack menu and then gave me a basket with all of the actual items for me to determine which ones were acceptable to dd. Basically, applesauce was it. lol! I then provide comparable snacks for dd based on what the other kids are having. I don't know how educated on celiac your school nutritionist is....but unless she herself is a Celiac or the foods were pre-packaged in a gluten-free facility...I wouldn't recommend taking the chance of letting them prepare any meals or snacks. The risk of CC is just too high.

Our school did provide gluten-free playdoh and instead of playing with pasta, they use the styrofoam gluten-free "Nuudles". The paints...I am sure still contain gluten, but the teacher does not understand the importance of lots of handwashing with soap and water. So does dd. And while we're on the topic of soap, I would highly recommned that you check theirs for gluten content. I had to provide soap for my dd....AND the rest of her class to do strange "glutenings" that didn't seem to be traceable. Since I provided the soap, we've been okay.

I have worked out a system with my dd about not putting fingers in or around her mouth during school. She is finally "getting" it (a major accomplishment with a thumb-sucking 3 year old). Our deal is that there will be no thumb-sucking until we get home and wash our hands. The teacher helped with this rule by gently reminding dd of it. And I'm sure that all of the glutenings also helped to underscore the danger.

I'm sure that someone here will be able to provide you with a great list of products and much better advice. We've only been doing pre-k for a couple of months. It can be rough, but if you're proactive, it isn't too bad. ;)

tpineo Rookie

Discount School Supplies sells a gluten-free play-doh. Paints need to be checked. Crayola, Prang, and Roseart are fine.

Preschools also like to use cheerios and pastas for arts so you'll need to send in gluten-free stuff.

Some hand lotions have gluten in them so the staff handling her food and things need to be aware of that.

The kids in her class must all wash their hands after snack as well as before (otherwise all the toys with be gluten covered).

I would not trust the nutritionist to provide her food unless she is really trained in celiac disease- it is just too complicated. In is just safer for you to send in her food.

Hope this helps, Tania

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I too would be very leary of a school nutritionist providing your daughter's food. Emmie just started pre-k this year, and she brings her own lunch and snack. I provided the class with gluten-free play-dough, which is pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion. We ordered it from Discount School Supply, it was $25 for 5lbs I believe. The teachers were actually thrilled about this, since they usually have to make the play dough themselves. Now they have a permanent supplier.

Other than that, the teacher just lets me know in advance of any food projects they are doing, and I bring in a gluten free alternative. They know that if Emmie doesn't bring it from home, she can't eat it. She also has a bag of gluten free candy at the school in case a kid turns up with cupcakes or something for a b-day. So far we haven't had any problems, but we'll see how it goes.

• 1 year later...
dcspas Newbie

Re arts and crafts, the regular play doh has gluten in it so be careful about not only what they eat but also what they play with, as it can get caught under the fingernails.... I found gluten free aroma dough play dough on line. It is great! Oh, also it was cheaper than discount school supply and they make it fresh from the factory and ship it to your door...so I liked that it wasn't sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse but made fresh before they send it to me. I also purchased the splat mat so it keeps it neat on the table...I keep some at home and also gave the school the info. i think the website is www.aromadough.com

hope that helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

crittermom Enthusiast

My ds uses play doh in kindergarten with her class. The teacher uses it as an activity when both teacher and parapro are working with different groups as it is something the kids can do on their own. I got Katharine her own playdoh from discount school supply. It has held up great. She has her own bucket with name and gluten free written in perm marker on top so subs can find it easily. The playdoh has worked out great and the other students know they are not to use it or mix it with the other playdoh. I still tell Katharine no hands near the mouth at school as well. However one thing I did not think of right away was the playdoh TOYS. All the other children had cookie cutters, rolling pins, scissors... all those neat things to play with the playdoh with. I got one of the playdoh duffle bags at target for about $12. I donated the playdoh to the class and now Katharine has her own little bag of toys that sits on the tray next to her play doh. Since this we haven't had any problems. Good luck.

Archived