This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

So.....much......gas...

MauriceGreene

MauriceGreene Rookie

Well I am at the 2.5 month mark with gluten free. Intial symptoms (flu like symptoms) have improved about 85% so I'm happy. However new things are comming up like sloppy poo (can I say that :o:D ) at times and GAS, not painful or anything but I have farted around 50 times times today and burped about 20. I dont know why because I never farted this much pre-celiac diagnosis! Heres what my diet today looked like. I am casein free btw ( just thought id try cant be too safe). I am also 99.9% positive I am not getting glutened or CC.

breakfast

Rice puff cereal (gluten-free) with rice milk

Apple

Nuts

morning tea

two cans of tuna

banana

lunch

plate full of rice

vegetables, includes = brocoli, corn, coliflower, mushrooms, carrots

Large steak

afternoon tea

Shake, included = orange juice, soy milk, 1 raw egg, tblspoon flax, tblspoon of honey, 1 banana

Nuts

dinner

plate full of rice

Lamb with sauce

desert

1 piece banana cake

4 piece of RICE bread/combination bread ( 2 with strawberry jam/ 2 with peanut butter)

1 cup Soy milk

yea thats a lot of food but I am active and trying to gain weight. Thanks in advance for comments.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

Rice Dream has barley (gluten). It's kind of hidden though and not in the ingredient list. The only statement of it is below the ingredient list and it says something about 2% barley (can't remember anymore what it says). Not sure about the soymilk though.

A lot of the time, people have a hard time with different foods for a while after going gluten-free. Remember that your body is still healing and is more delicate right now. For the first couple of months after I went gluten-free, I couldn't handle soy. It gave me bad gas too. It sucked because SOY is just as prevalent in every dang thing as gluten is. It's in margarine, cooking oil, peanut butter, etc. Even some tuna is packed in soy oil.

Another thing to look at is the fruits and veggies. Some of them can be difficult to digest for a delicate system. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, even apples can be hard on your stomach at first. I'm not sure if flax is gas-inducing. Maybe someone else will know.

Hope that helps.

Nancy

tarnalberry Community Regular

the soy milk could be a problem if you're sensitive to soy. I wouldn't say I'm intolerant to soy, but too much makes me gassy and affects my digestion. I can have ~1 serving 5 times a week or so.

AndreaB Contributor

I was going to suggest the possibility of soy as well.

spunky Contributor

At 2 1/2 months gluten free I had horrible gas too. It's been my last symptom to go away. Now, at just about 9 months (this 8th month has seemed like forever, for some reason--but I'm feeling better all the time), my lingering symptom seems to be gas, but much less than what I was having.

I haven't been able to relate it to what I eat; there might be some connection, but I've been so exhausted with watching my diet (I'm casein free too) that I just went along, charting my symptoms and seeing after the first 90 days that there was gradual, general improvement. I have gone easy on the soy (we're vegans, so it's there!), just because of awareness that it might cause problems, but I do eat some soy.

Now my farting episodes (sorry, how else do you say it?) have decreased to just a few times by late afternoon or evening, and not anything really bad, probably just bordering close to what someone normal might have, although a little more, I would guess. It used to be constant balloons popping and refilling immediately in my gut all day long. So, maybe yours will eventually get less and hopefully go away. Let's hope it works that way!

Gamecreature Rookie

Before I was diagnosed with Celiac my doctor had me taking Mylicon, an infant anti-gas liquid, for my gas attacks. My gas has nearly disappeared, but I find the Mylicon still helps for those flare-ups that I might have.

Aerin328 Apprentice

Just a comment = some soy milk has gluten in it. I believe Silk brand is safe.

Also, brocolli causes lots of gas b/c it feeds the good bactery w/ all that fibre.

Good luck, things will improve!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Yeah that is ALOT of fiber. Apples and nuts= fiber, banana=fiber, Veggies=fiber, not to mention the flax. Wheee. When I first started on the diet, I thought I needed to add alot more fiber to it. I needed to add a little more, because of the rice products, but not that much more, be careful not to go too far with your fiber.

I have also found that Soy milk makes me a little pooty too.

Elonwy

loraleena Contributor

soy makes me really gassy. I take a digestive enzyme before each meal and it helps a lot with bloating and gas.

jerseyangel Proficient

The soy would be the first thing I'd check into.

I also found that the longer I'm gluten-free, different foods will cause it--apples (which never did it to me before) now give me terrible gas.

Also, when you suddenly increase your fiber intake, the result can be excess gas--if that's the case, it should get better as your body gets used to the increase.

Archived