• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

tracey*

My Own Restaurant Card

Rate this topic

I'm going to have my own restaurant card made, since i wanted to include my yeast and lactose intolerances

Here is what it looks like - the front is that little green area that says 'i'm gluten free' and below it is what will be written on the back. I have other colours and designs for the front of the card, so I have different styles to use whenever I feel like.

They're about 3/4 a business card sized

What do you think?

http://sh1ft.org/moo.jpg

I was thinking of putting a website URL on it so that whoever has it, can look it up on the net quickly..

It's a great Idea; we've thought of doing that too, but I do get concerned about mixing gluten intolerance foods with individual intolerance foods; that might give the food service person the wrong idea about what is or is not gluten. Perhaps you should separate them out on the card; show the gluten ingreds first, then add a line about you have additional sensitivities to .......

unfortunately there's limited space to do proper lines and add more text

maybe i should change it to 'i have food allergies' on the front?

or maybe change it to 'also can't have...' instead of just 'also'

I love this idea and SO HAPPY YOU PUT IT UP FOR US TO SEE.

The more people who look at this the better.

alots of good ideas will come and in the end..you'll have the perfect card.

I'm so very very impressed.

keep up the good work Tracy..

and thanks again for sharing with all of us.

judy :)

wow!! what a great idea and it takes the stress off the server of trying to remember EVERYTHING you have told them.

and im sure it helps the not so smart chefs/cooks out there!!

GOOD JOB!!!

Looks nice.

I think it's unnecessary to list things like "pizza" though ... I mean isn't it YOUR job not to order pizza? It makes more sense to only list ingredients that might be hidden, like flour or milk or cream.

My opinion as someone who used to be a server and also a cook in a restaurant, that is just too long a list. The shorter the better if you want them to actually understand it and not get overwhelmed.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it

The card isnt just for chefs and waiters - its for my friends who want to know want i cant just order and eat like they do, does that make sense? :) Of course I wont order a pizza but if they wanted to know what I couldnt have, at least its right there on the card so they know for sure.

I wanted it to be a list that people wouldnt have to ask me whether I could have X or not continually. Sadly, alot of people dont realise what goes into foods still and Id rather it be blatantly obvious, especially if these are the foods I specifically avoid

Ive seen much longer lists on backs of cards, I thought this was short! lol

Ill see what I can cut out tonight because I agree that it shouldnt be too overwhelming to read - and shouldnt take more than 30 secs to go through

(Sorry, my apostrophe key doesnt work at the moment, so my punctuation is terrible)

I think that is a great idea and the card demands attention with it's bright color.

Can you get two kinds of cards, one lengthier one for your friends, and one for restaurants?

I like it. I don't think it's a problem to leave the big stuff like pizza and bread on there. I mean, how many times do we make a big fuss to the waiter about gluten crumbs and CC, and then end up with a big piece of bread next to our salad?

Can you get two kinds of cards, one lengthier one for your friends, and one for restaurants?

With that particular printing site I'm using, you can only get 1 size of card, but they're really cute, great quality and cheap for a pack of 100. I just don't think I'll hand out 100 cards to restaurants, or 100 cards to friends - which is why I tried to make it general

:) Maybe I will need a full 100 eventually ... but tell that to the pile of 100 business cards i'm still working on lol

Mango04, you're right - things like that do happen unfortunately

Rusla, that's what I was going for - I want it to be attractive in some way so that people actually read it and keep it

flagbabyds, did you use flickr/moo? or someone else?

like i said before.. they are absolutely great!!

i dont think you can ever be TOO obvious.

i cant count how many times ive told people i cant have wheat and they say .. oh thats not that bad.. you can still have white bread then.

and how many young kids work at resturants that are just there for a paycheck.

goood job!!!! :)

im trying to understand, but what are these resturant card, how do they work? what do i do with them, and how do I get them

sorry - 10 days in, im still clueless :unsure::(

Hi Mal!

Restaurant cards are used to give to the server or restaurant manager to give to the chef or kitchen staff in a restaurant to explain what we need as far as preparation of our food. It's really common that the first time a server has ever heard of celiac or gluten is when you're trying to order a meal. It's much easier for the server and the kitchen to have a printed resource to refer to rather than trying to remember what you're saying while you're ordering. Triumph cards http://www.triumphdining.com are pretty popular, but a lot of people with celiac also have other food intolerances that need additional explanation.

Tracey, I really like your cards. It's truly shocking how many people don't know that pizza or pasta is made from wheat flour. Or that white flour is made from wheat. :rolleyes:

Nancy

wow i feel like this is getting easier and easier everyday!!

thank you all!!

::HUGS::!!!