Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nantzie

Cut-out Cookies - My Mom's Recipe

These are the cookies that my family always made every Christmas since before I can remember. When I figured out my gluten problem last year, I thought I'd never taste these again. But now I can make them with my kids!!

These are heavy on the nutmeg, so may not be everyone's taste, but you could always cut that back or use cinnamon instead.

The dough really behaves like regular dough. I didn't have any problems at all with them, either while preparing the dough, rolling them out, or baking them.

Since these turned out so well, I'm going to try our other family Christmas cookie recipes.

All I did was substitute the flour for Annalise Robert's flour blend, and added xanthan gum.

Nancy

Annalise Robert's Brown Rice Flour Mix (From her book Gluten-Free Baking Classics, page 6)

(Makes 9 cups)

6 cups Brown Rice Flour (extra finely ground)

2 cups Potato Starch (not potato flour)

1 cup Tapioca Flour

Cut-Out Christmas Cookies

4 cups Annalise's Brown Rice Flour Mix

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp xanthan gum

3/4 cup butter, softened

1-1/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

Into a medium bowl, sift flour mix with baking powder, salt, nutmeg and xanthan gum. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add flour mix a little at a time, fully incorporating each time. You'll need to use your hands (or probably a dough hook if you're using a stand mixer) toward the end. Refrigerate overnight. Take dough out of fridge about a half hour or so before rolling to let it come to room temperature and become pliable.

Between two sheets of waxed paper, on a slightly damp surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out cookies. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 325F for about 8 minutes, or until golden.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):