Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fiddle-Faddle

Corn Tortilla Roll-ups

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, I tried microwaving them and heating them in the frying pan. I have the huge package, maybe the're getting old? Do they need to be refrigerated?

Yeah I keep mine in the fridge. I dunno though....usually if I heat them in the oven till they're warm they roll up nicely.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

yes, warm them up in the mic...also, if that doesn't work, cover them with a damp paper towel when you nuke them, that softens them as well. and tortillas usually get more crumbly as they get older...

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

fridge, then nuke between damp paper towels, for me.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

ditto...fridge and nuke between wet paper towels. The moistness is key to keeping them from falling apart. YOu can also put them in aluminum foil in the oven.

Lastly, is it something that needs to be rolled up or can you make a casserole out of? I had a recipe for chicken enchiladas and instead of rolling them all up, I just tore the tortillas into pieces and layered everythign in the pan...turns out great!

ditto...fridge and nuke between wet paper towels. The moistness is key to keeping them from falling apart. YOu can also put them in aluminum foil in the oven.

Lastly, is it something that needs to be rolled up or can you make a casserole out of? I had a recipe for chicken enchiladas and instead of rolling them all up, I just tore the tortillas into pieces and layered everythign in the pan...turns out great!

I do what everyone else said. I use the food for life sprouted corn and keep them in the freezer- nuke them in the microwave between 2 paper towels- Ii find if you use some sort of a paste or thicker spread this prevents them form crumbling.

I do what everyone else said. I use the food for life sprouted corn and keep them in the freezer- nuke them in the microwave between 2 paper towels- Ii find if you use some sort of a paste or thicker spread this prevents them form crumbling.

I also do what everyone else does.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

I heat them up in the microwave, put the meat and cheese on QUICKLY while still warm, then I put a dab of cream cheese on to seal them OR use a toothpick.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I gave up on rolling the tiny rounds and just made sandwiches out of two corn tortillas. They still taste great.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

I heat them up in the microwave, put the meat and cheese on QUICKLY while still warm, then I put a dab of cream cheese on to seal them OR use a toothpick.

Ahhhh...I forgot about the "quickly" part. This is so important, because as soon as they cool off even a little, you're back to square one again.

A friend of mine has been teaching me how to make authentic mexican food.

For rolling up the corn tortillas for making enchiladas, you make a sauce out of the chilli powder, cumin, water, and whatever other spices you are cooking with. The sauce has to be at the correct temperature - near boiling temperature seems to be the best. Dip the tortilla in the sauce for 10-30 seconds, it depends on the temperature of the sauce.

For the quick sandwich wet paper towels in the microwave seems like it will work out just fine.

L.

Michigan

I keep my Mission Brand white Corn tortillas in the refrigerator. I heat them in a cast iron skillet.

I put the ingredients on them and then put them edges side down on my plate.

For enchiladas, I heat a stack of them, wrapped in foil, in the oven, just till warmed. Then I dip one in a pot of hot Hormel chili with beans, lay in the casserole dish, put the filling on the tortilla, chopped onions, bell peppers, cheese, chicken, etc, then I roll it up, edge side down in the dish, and do another one until the pan is full, then I pour the rest of the chili over the top, spinkle on some chopped onions and some grated cheese and bake in the oven till bubbly.

If you keep Hormel chili with beans in the pantry, this is a good quick hot meal to make in the winter.

from Tex Mex country in the deep South B) where we think it is winter anytime the temp is under 80 degrees !!