This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Book-guide To Gluten Free For Vegetarians

ravenselene

ravenselene Rookie

Hello Everyone,

As you can see from the title here I'm writing a book for Vegetarians on a gluten free diet.

I've been diagnosed coeliac for three years and vegetarian for ten. I was advised to stop being vegetarianwhich is what has prompted this book because there is absolutely no need for that!

I'd like to hear from anyone who is vegetarian or vegan in here?

I'd also be really grateful if you could all answer this question, Since being on a gluten free diet which product or restaurant couldn't you live without?

If anyone has any tips that they think would help newly diagnosed patients please please let me have them. I want this book to be a real source of comfort and support to gluten free patients.

My email address should any of you wish to correspond more privately is darklightsnapshot@yahoo.co.uk

Thank You All Kindly

Emma

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lauren M Explorer

Hi Emma :)

I am a working on my Masters in Publication Management, and a couple of semesters ago, I actually worked on this exact concept for a class project!

The class was Publication Budgeting, but the bottom line was that we had to devise a unique, marketable book and then figure out the details. I thought, "a gluten-free book for vegetarians would be great!" as I am both Celiac and vegetarian, and am tired of buying books that are gluten-free, but have tons of meat recipes - or buying regular vegetarian cookbooks that aren't geared toward Celiacs. Coincidentally, my professor loved the idea and wanted me to pursue it, AND I found out that one of my classmates was gluten intolerant!

So, basically, I want to applaud you for tackling this project and if I can be of any help, please let me know. I'll definitely be the first to buy your book! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been a vegetarian since I was 4 years old (I'll be 25 in December) and diagnosed Celiac for 3 years as well. Like you, it never crossed my mind to give up being a vegetarian, even though others suggested it.

As for my favorite restaurant.... it's a small Thai restaurant near my parent's home, where they make my food SPICY and are knowledgeable about both Celiac and vegetarianism.

- Lauren

ravenselene Rookie
The class was Publication Budgeting, but the bottom line was that we had to devise a unique, marketable book and then figure out the details. I thought, "a gluten-free book for vegetarians would be great!" as I am both Celiac and vegetarian, and am tired of buying books that are gluten-free, but have tons of meat recipes - or buying regular vegetarian cookbooks that aren't geared toward Celiacs.

Amazing! well well!

I've had a great response to my book, the Vegetarian society (uk) are really being supportive (they're going to endorse the book) and when the book is done they'll run competitions to win the book, press releases and articles in publications and online. Quite a few Coeliac organisations are ready to take the book on and sell it online too.

I TOTALLY understand your book frustration-is why this book is onn its way!

I'm including everything in my book, right from what coeliac disease is, how it affects us, symptoms, diagnosis,

related illnesses, emotional aspect, contacting organisations and forums, sources of information, real stories, vegetarian convictions and a gluten free diet, gluten free (and some casein free) vegetarian recipes, lifestyle tips (like what to stock in the cupboard, what to look for when shopping etc) hidden poisons, eating out (where to go, what to ask and what to expect), helpful links, glossary of terms and a holistic therapy chapter too.

Do you think there is anything else that would be valuable to readers in our situation? Being this close to the writing I sometimes think I might be missing out something that would help people...

Be great if you could name me some of your favourite gluten-free vegetarian products. I'm contacting companies to send me products to review. I'll be really honest about what is edible, what isn't and what is delicious!

I've only contacted uk companies so far but I want the book to be helpful and successful in America and Europe too...

Thanks for your reply!

key Contributor

I am not vegan, but have always been vegetarian. I have had SO many people tell me I need meat to be healthy. For me, It just isn't going to happen. I have never eaten it and it doesn't appeal to me at all. I wouldn't have the first clue how to cook it.

There are SO many options out there that are vegetarian and gluten free. Eating out may be a bit more challenging, but there are options that are gluten free and vegetarian.

I use alot of these products,

Kinnikinnick pizza crusts, english muffins and bread.

Glutenevolution makes some good bread called "Bread by Anna".

We love Pamela's pancake mix (everyone I have ever fed these to loves them).

Mission corn tortillas

Gluten Free Pantry bread mix

Of course many natural gluten free foods.

That is awesome you are writing a book! I think there is a need for this.

Monica

lorka150 Collaborator

hi emma,

kudos on the book. feel free to pm with if you have more questions later on.

I'd also be really grateful if you could all answer this question, Since being on a gluten free diet which product or restaurant couldn't you live without?

natural, fresh produce. to 'reverse' your question: 'products' (pre-made) and 'restaurants' are two things i never venture.

ravenselene Rookie

Hi Monica,

I'm with you totally on the vegetarian front! Thank you for this list of products, I'm going to contact the manufacturers this week about inclusion in my book.

Thanks for the support!

I'm sure I'll be popping up in here fairly often now with questions for the book...

Emma

... to 'reverse' your question: 'products' (pre-made) and 'restaurants' are two things i never venture.

Why is that? could be helpful for the book to understand why people avoid restaurants and pre made products... Much healthier to only eat fresh...

I may pm you randomly over the next few months Thank You :)

lorka150 Collaborator
Hi Monica,

I'm with you totally on the vegetarian front! Thank you for this list of products, I'm going to contact the manufacturers this week about inclusion in my book.

Thanks for the support!

I'm sure I'll be popping up in here fairly often now with questions for the book...

Emma

Why is that? could be helpful for the book to understand why people avoid restaurants and pre made products... Much healthier to only eat fresh...

I may pm you randomly over the next few months Thank You :)

there are a few reasons.

first, because there is a risk eating out - and taking that risk does not interest me. second, pre-made foods often aren't healthier options. i learned how to re-create everything. third, even before hand, i've always stuck to a whole foods diet. another reason is, i am allergic to rice and buckwheat, and intolerant to casein, and a lot of gluten-free products have the first two options.

the only pre-made items in my fridge are a good stone ground mustard, nut butters (but they are just oil + nuts, nothing else added), tofu, and soy and almond milks, as well as i enjoy a small amount of cereals. i would never buy a pre-made meal or treat - frankly, to be honest, i can really just make it better, make it exactly how i like it, and know exactly what goes in it.

a win win!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm with lorka 98% of the way, I do buy some more premade stuff than she does- for treats or staples (soy ice cream for dessert, and clif nectar bars or bumble bars for hiking, and boullion for soups, for instance) - but realize that it is *definitely* a risk of contamination, and one that I have to take knowing that I *could* get sick.

I would say there are a few premade staples in our house (let's see... tamari, rice cakes, mustard, clif nectar bars, boullion and/or broth, soy milk, and bbq sauce. There are other things on occasion, but those are the primaries. And I think that it's important to be aware that every product you don't make (or supervise making of) is an opportunity for contamination. It's *totally* your right to make that choice, and the risk may be so low as to be zero - it could be zero in some cases - but it's a risk, like most other choices in life. And we just have to be aware of that.

Congrats on taking up the challenge of writing your book. I would suggest that you address one of the things I often see missing in books like this - deal with the secondary conditions of celiac. It is *quite* common for celiacs to become intolerant to dairy and soy, for instance, and even eggs. So vegetarian books that rely on dairy and eggs for protein can miss some of their audience (and make them feel yet more ostracized), and vegan books relying on soy in the abscense of dairy and eggs can do the same for those who can't have soy. Not only that, but if you check through the board, you'll see plenty of people who are hypoglycemic (also not uncommon with celiac disease) which means that getting plenty of protein in each meal, along with fat and fiber, is vital. Not to mention the vitamin deficiencies that many celiacs are working with, diabetes, or the thyroid disorders, and so on. If you spend some time discussing how to modify a gluten-free diet for all of these issues, you'll reach a wider audience.

(I bring this up because beside being gluten intolerant, I'm casein-intolerant, soy-sensitive and hypoglycemic. I had thought about going vegetarian at one point, but I have not found any way that satisfies my body to get a good protein/fat/carb balance without dairy, much soy, or overloading on eggs. The remaining vegetarian items out there, outside of using lots of milled/refined foods, simply don't have the macronutrient composition that my blood sugar does best on. I'm sure there are others out there who *could* do all this vegetarian, because their body's requirements are a bit different than mine, but doing it blindly is *tough*.)

Creative-Soul Newbie
Congrats on taking up the challenge of writing your book. I would suggest that you address one of the things I often see missing in books like this - deal with the secondary conditions of celiac. It is *quite* common for celiacs to become intolerant to dairy and soy, for instance, and even eggs. So vegetarian books that rely on dairy and eggs for protein can miss some of their audience (and make them feel yet more ostracized), and vegan books relying on soy in the abscense of dairy and eggs can do the same for those who can't have soy... Not to mention the vitamin deficiencies that many celiacs are working with, diabetes, or the thyroid disorders, and so on. If you spend some time discussing how to modify a gluten-free diet for all of these issues, you'll reach a wider audience.

I agree with Tarnalberry; my frustration with vegetarian books is exactly along the lines of what she said! My dream book is vegetarian, gluten / dairy / egg / soy free (am not allergic to soy but there are so many who are). I am also allergic to refined sugar, and I know that many people don't use sugar as well as a matter of choice...

I think it's great that you're taking on this challenge...please keep us updated!

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I want a copy of your book when it is ready. My husband and I started gluten free two weeks ago and vegetarian not quite a week ago. My gluten free cookbook has a lot of meat and dairy receipes and my vegetarian cookbook is full of gluten. I'm learning how to modify them but I think your book would be very helpful.

ravenselene Rookie

It's fabulous that despite going gluten-free you are going/have gone vegetarian! Well done you two!

I'll keep you posted on the book front....

there are a few reasons.

pre-made foods often aren't healthier options. i learned how to re-create everything. third, even before hand, i've always stuck to a whole foods diet. another reason is, i am allergic to rice and buckwheat, and intolerant to casein, and a lot of gluten-free products have the first two options.

In my book I am trying to champion the cause of wholefoods and cooking from scratch, I want to make ot more atainable. and less scary. Show how easy it is to make a breakfast cereal for example. I will also be showing people how to make 'quick' meals with some of the pre made veg options out there because a lot of people will still go that route...

I've just finished writing about related illnesses in some detail but had not included hypoglaceamia or soy allergy-I will rewrite and include those thank you :)

My dream book is vegetarian, gluten / dairy / egg / soy free (am not allergic to soy but there are so many who are). I am also allergic to refined sugar, and I know that many people don't use sugar as well as a matter of choice...

Ok my recipe section will include plenty of all of these options and there will be no refined sugar to be seen in my recipes!

Creative-Soul Newbie
In my book I am trying to champion the cause of wholefoods and cooking from scratch, I want to make ot more atainable. and less scary...

Ok my recipe section will include plenty of all of these options and there will be no refined sugar to be seen in my recipes!

Great! I think that (ideally) eating as many whole foods as possible is the healthiest way to go, especially for folks like us who run the risk of greater vitamin/mineral deficiencies because of our food issues. I was vegetarian before finding out I had celiac, and became even more committed to it afterwards. I am thrilled that you're excluding refined sugars in your book ^_^ ...that helped to make my day!!!

Archived