Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jenvan

My Travel Guide To Destin/san Destin, Fl :)

We found quite a few options while vacationing in Destin/San Destin. Here is my breakdown of where we went.

Bone Fish Grill, near Destin Commons mall (fun mall)

Outback is also in Destin and they did a fine job.

In Baytowne Wharf, San Destin (cute shopping area)

-Another Broken Egg Cafe: http://www.anotherbrokenegg.com/ (Is also in Destin)

(corresponded with owner/chef beforehand) Has huge menu with lots of omelettes, salads, burgers, fruit etc. They worked with me and it was great! You can really have a lot of options here. Bread is kept in its own area too, as I was told. They do breakfast and lunch each day.

Marlin Grill: nice, upscale restaurant. they worked with me, some meat, veggies options etc. http://www.baytownewharf.com/shops_and_din....asp?listing=37

Sweeties: sorbet, ice cream etc. The sorbet I cked was gluten-free. Just fruit, water, sugar. Be a place to ck on ingredients and find options. http://www.baytownewharf.com/shops_and_din....asp?listing=44

Seaside, FL Visit here if you haven't--new urbanism village on the beach--so cool! restaurants, shopping etc.

Heavenly Shortcakes & Ice Cream: had sorbet that was great. they let me read any ingredients I wanted.

Hilton Hotel & Resort, San Destin

Sandcastles: more casual restaurant, made me a safe meal. Our server had multiple food allergies and didn't eat gluten either!

Barefoots: casual outdoor grill, also does deliver on the beach :) Had a great burger, fruit.

Seagars: very nice restaurant. go here if you are willing to spend a few bucks. only 5 star restaurant in the area. excellent excellent. best steaks of our lives. fabulous service.

**I also worked with Angelia Brown at Hilton who coordinated for me in advance with all the chefs, restaurants...to give them a heads-up. If you want to stay there, ask me for her e-mail and I can pass it along.

Lastly is Beachwalk: http://www.beachwalkcafe.com/ We ran out of time and didn't get to dine here, but from my correspondence with the chef, I would definitely recommend. He seemed excited about coming up with some meals. It is a well known restaurant on the beach and seems like they would do a great job.

Hope this helps someone out... PS: October is *the* month to visit this area--beach and town was uncrowded and weather was perfect!

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That is so great Jen, that you had a wonderful trip with lots of safe eating. I forgot you were gone. Sorry for any emails I sent during your vacation.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

Everything sounds great! Glad to see you back :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

welcome back Jen.

Was anxious to hear the 'fun' particulars..esp where to eat.

Glad you back. thanks so much for the post

how are you.

judy

Judy in Southern CA

Armetta-

Don't worry about the e-mails ! Thanks all. I have been MIA and am trying to rectify that now :)

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free