This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenated By My Own Mother!

brizzo

brizzo Contributor

My mom cooked corn chowder yesterday and assured me thet is was gluten-free! I even looked over every ingredient myself. Today she called me on my cell and she says, "you're going to kill me!" I forgot to tell you that I used 1 chicken bullion cube in the chowder yesterday. It contained wheat. My heart sank!.... Back to square 1 again. This really sucks!... I mean , my God......by my own mother! Does it ever end? Brizzo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

My mother has celiac also and she glutened me when I was at her house. She felt terrible and she felt terrible when I was diagnosed since I got the genes from her. I let her off the hook for both of those, and I know she felt really bad. I have glutened myself many, many times so I know how easy it is to do it.

Sorry you got glutened. Hope you feel better soon.

Guest ~jules~

My mother glutened me with beef boullion. Which she remembered putting in the roast pan AFTER I got done eating it. Ah, will they ever get it!

tarnalberry Community Regular

People don't really think about things they do automatically. Really. Try doing everything with the other hand some time, and you'll see, we all do it. It sucks though. I hope you recover quickly.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Awwwwwwwwww--sometimes you just have to forgive and forget. It sounds to me like both mother's are trying and really didn't mean to make you ill. There is a wonderful soup base called Orrington Farms that you can tell your mom's about. It's the best flavoring I have ever used and it is gluten free. I can't use it any longer because it does contain corn. It's made in Bedford Park, IL and the website is www.orringtonfarms.com it's great. There is another that I found here on Long Island, but I can't remember what it is called. It comes in a little glass jar and is very expensive.

Give your mom's another chance. ;)

IrishKelly Contributor
My mom cooked corn chowder yesterday and assured me thet is was gluten-free! I even looked over every ingredient myself. Today she called me on my cell and she says, "you're going to kill me!" I forgot to tell you that I used 1 chicken bullion cube in the chowder yesterday. It contained wheat. My heart sank!.... Back to square 1 again. This really sucks!... I mean , my God......by my own mother! Does it ever end? Brizzo

At least she did it accidentally...i told my mom, "NO DAIRY and NO WHEAT, are you sure i can't cook the dinner?"...and this was her reply as i started in on a helping of her mash potatoes, "it was only a little butter"...so at least your mom did it accidentally. I will say that dinner experience left me to realize that others are absolutely right when they say you are definitely on your own. Don't even trust other family members (unless they are gluten-free too ;) ). It really stinks but i'm totally getting used to it now 5 months later. But yes, i sometimes still get aggravated with these people...usually because i feel they don't take it serious enough, maybe if our faces were to puff up and swell or something they would understand a little more (not that i want that to happen or anything)...i think alot of it has to do with the fact of them not seeing or actually feeling what it's like to be glutened. I don't think people will ever understand unless it happens to them.

happygirl Collaborator

Brizzo,

I'm sorry to hear that you were glutened. It is frustrating! But, we pick up and move on and learn from ours/others mistakes. You might want to tell her to not use anything under any circumstance that has not been approved by you or that you don't know how it was prepared (cross contamination) or you won't eat it (and that sounds harsh but certainly doesn't need to be said in a harsh manner! :P And that rule applies to everyone).

Hope you are feeling ok!

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
redsdf Newbie
At least she did it accidentally...i told my mom, "NO DAIRY and NO WHEAT, are you sure i can't cook the dinner?"...and this was her reply as i started in on a helping of her mash potatoes, "it was only a little butter"...so at least your mom did it accidentally. I will say that dinner experience left me to realize that others are absolutely right when they say you are definitely on your own. Don't even trust other family members (unless they are gluten-free too ;) ). It really stinks but i'm totally getting used to it now 5 months later. But yes, i sometimes still get aggravated with these people...usually because i feel they don't take it serious enough, maybe if our faces were to puff up and swell or something they would understand a little more (not that i want that to happen or anything)...i think alot of it has to do with the fact of them not seeing or actually feeling what it's like to be glutened. I don't think people will ever understand unless it happens to them.

Not necessarily true, I definetly trust my Mom and my Sister when they cook for me. My mom will even call companies to double check that their items are gluten free. My sister will look up every ingredient she is using on the net or find gluten-free recipes online to make for me (she even makes me cakes, bread, pasta, etc...) But I can see how it can be hard to trust anyone but yourself in food preparation...

Guest nini

I'm actually glad I do have a visible indicator for others when I've been accidentally glutened, my face breaks out in this weird rash, usually starts out bright red flushed looking and then before I know it I've got little red dots all over my face... (then the vomiting, cramping and "d" start)... the rash usually lingers for a few days after a glutening and I get people looking at me really odd "what happened to you!" the Chiropractor I'm working with now just looks at me and says "glutened again, huh?"

zansu Rookie

yeah, it's those things we do automatically....

I've been gluten-free for 2 1/2 years, Hubby was under the weather and asked me to make him some toast. I got some butter on my finger and came REALLY close to licking it off.... :blink:

If I can come that close to glutening myself after 2 1/2 years, cut Mom some slack. I bet she remembers next time (OK, not the "it was just butter" Mom, she's in denial)

sagemoon Newbie

My Mom has tried to gluten me every time I visit. She just says "Eat around it!" It is very frustrating but I held my tongue the last time and ate only the baked sweet potato. She was insulted, but oh well, that was a lot better than what I wanted to say to her. I called my husband afterwards, all steamed, and he said to just calm down, that my mom lived through the Depression and ate chicken feet for dinner, so give her a break. I can understand her confusion since she did raise me and fed me every day until I left home, but I think she is slowly coming around.

I really wish my face would blow up and turn blue with orange spots when I ate gluten. It would help with unbelievers so much........

Archived