This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression/anxiety And Celiac

rutland

rutland Enthusiast

I was wondering if having depression and anxiety are related to having celiac. Ive had anxiety and depression most of my life, lately its been pretty bad. I feel very "off" like, having a constant stream of negative chatter running wild in my head, feeling scattered and out of focus, frustration, constant worry, sadness and hopelessness. Ive been gluten-free since August and Im know Im still in the healing phase. Ive been rationalizing my emotional symptoms as being part of the process but now I feel I must do something about it because Ill be starting nursing school in January and need to be at my best.

I guess what Im asking is: Is depression and anxiety related to celiac disease?

Is there any other methods to help the situation other than Meds? If meds are needed Ive heard good things about Celexa.

But before I do that, I just started taking the herb St. Johns Wort. Im going to give that a trial before I take any meds.

Does anyone know anything about St. Johns wort? Or any other method to improve mental health?

any insights would be really appreciated :)

Steph

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

The answer is Yes, depression and anxiety are related. I've never tried any drugs, but St John's wort has been shown to help with mild depression. It also can interfere with other drugs (like birth control pills) so research what else you're taking and whether or not there is a problem.

jerseyangel Proficient

I know that depression and anxiety are 2 of the many symptoms of Celiac. I had them before, and since going gluten-free 16 months ago, have improved. The depression is much better, the anxiety is still sometimes a problem.

I am still trying to figure out what to do about it. I wanted to tell you that you're not alone, and I'll be looking forward to any information that you get here.

Feel better :)

Jestgar Rising Star

I find, that for mild depression, it works for me to sit on the couch, put a blanket or coat over my head, form my expression into the must miserable one I can come up with, and in a dismal voice say "mope.....mope...." over and over. Usually within a few minutes I realize how ridiculous I am being and it helps me regain perspective. It doesn't do anything for the depression, but I'm a lot more willing to deal with it.

jknnej Collaborator

After going gluten free almost 2 years ago, I developed depression and anxiety; I had never had them before. I tried all of the natural ways for about 6 months; nutritional supplements, extra exercise, relaxation, yoga, you name it.

Finally I started taking meds and I've never been happier. I tried going off of them and that was easy but the depression and anxiety all came back so I went back on. I just realize that it's something I need and I try not to feel bad about it because my quality of life is so much better now.

My depression and anxiety were BAD; I would rarely even leave the house and I had severe morbid thoughts and dreams.

Gamecreature Rookie

Based on what I've read, depression for Celiacs could be caused either by the autoimune response to gluten or malabsorption - not getting the right chemicals because your intestine is out of whack.

I've personally noticed some interesting mood swings since I went gluten free just a few weeks ago. I was depressed and fatigued and both of those went away when I removed gluten from my diet. The depression returned yesterday, along with steatorrhea, indicating that my body wasn't adequately digesting something.

My mood certainly goes down when my gut is bothering me, but I haven't figured out what I can do about it.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

There have been studies that show that exercise is as effective as Prozac. So I think it's VERY important to get out there and do something. I had a friend who always told me that if I don't like the way I'm feeling, change my position physically - do something different physically. It's worth a shot. I know it's hard to get exercising when you're down and out, but it really could help.

I used to have bad anxiety attacks and now that I'm gluten free, I don't seem to anymore. I would make sure you've got enough B vitamins and iron.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Taking Omega-3 supplements can help, too. From my understanding - your brain needs "good" fats to function but most of us don't get enough good fats so our brain can't work properly. We mostly get Omega-6s. I don't remember the exact statistics, but way back in the day humans used to eat about 50% Omega-3 and 50% Omega-6. Now we eat maybe 5% Omega-3s so our brains aren't functioning as well.

Matilda Enthusiast

rutland Enthusiast

Thanks all, for the advice. For now Im going to try St. John Wort and see how that goes. I have a feeling that my body is just more sensitive right now due to healing. Its been over 2mos. gluten free but I know that it does take time for the body to heal and maybe as I get stronger the anxiety and depression will lift. Its comforting to know that other people experienced the same thing with anxiety and depression in connection to gluten. It makes me feel hopeful that I will improve more as time goes on.

Shalia Apprentice

Another natural option, and better studied, is 5-HTP. It's the precursor to Seratonin in the brain, and will help your body make more seratonin if you don't have enough.

I can find some info from the studies that have been done, if you'd like. They aren't very high in numbers of people, but at least they EXIST. Most herbs have no studies behind them. :)

I have a friend who's a pharmacologist, and he uses 5-HTP for his depression, he trusts it that much. (Wish I could... *grin*)

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

Archived