Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

azmom3

How Do You Clean The Grill To Avoid Cc?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My favorite method is to put a really greasy chicken on the grill, then forget to check it and have the whole inside of the grill catch fire so you have to race into the backyard, pull your chicken out of the flames, blow it out, turn off the grill and wait for all the flames to die down so you can scrape the burned crust off of everything.

I'm pretty sure my grill is clean

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

My favorite method is to put a really greasy chicken on the grill, then forget to check it and have the whole inside of the grill catch fire so you have to race into the backyard, pull your chicken out of the flames, blow it out, turn off the grill and wait for all the flames to die down so you can scrape the burned crust off of everything.

I'm pretty sure my grill is clean

:lol: I don't think anything could survive that! Even the dreaded protein :D

I love it that you put the penguin back up--that picture just tickles me :P

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Just curious - why is the grill safe after heating it up, but pots, pans, etc are not? I assume because of scratches in the pots, pans? Well, the grate on my grill is pretty scratched. Opinions?

Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.

- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.

- gluten-free since Oct 2005

Good question about the scrapes on the grill. I honestly dont have an answer. My mother cleaned the grates, scrubbed them after burning the heck out of them. Then used Easy Off grill cleaner and I still got sick. This was on a gas grill. I have no idea how it happened. No rolls were used.. no sauces of any type.. from then on I just didnt cook my burger on the grill and never got sick again.

I cant explain it!!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

Just curious - why is the grill safe after heating it up, but pots, pans, etc are not? I assume because of scratches in the pots, pans? Well, the grate on my grill is pretty scratched. Opinions?

Good question Tracy :D This is why I didn't take any chances with our gas grill. We took the grates off, cleaned them thoroughly (left on a heavy duty cleaner and scrubbed) then rinsed very well.

I think that burning the gluten off happens when it gets so hot that it almost catches fire (or in Jestgar's case, does catch fire). We just don't heat our pans up to those kind of temperatures.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Patti,

Thanks for your insight. That's kind of what I figured, but after a year of this, I am still questioning things that I never even thought of before.

Thanks,

Tracy

Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.

- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.

- gluten-free since Oct 2005

We have a friend that invites us over for barbecue. He cooks everything he makes for me on tin foil. Even though he has just cleaned the grill, he thinks there would still be a cross contamination issue. He can even cook me a fantastic steak on foil. So, I never have food from someone's grill but his. And of course ours. We downsized and our last home had a built in grill so it had to be left there - Yay. We got a new grill for here and gluten has never touched it.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

:) I love the roasted chicken story :)

But, to be honest..... If you are beginning a new gluten free lifestyle, I would suggest investing in a new grill and use natural charcoal and you will always know that you have a safe grill.

To me, it would be a good investment to my future.

Just my thoughts.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I believe it's as Patti says, the fire burns the grate clean. I would be sure the fire actually burns the grate with flames. They even say you can use regular charcoal if you are sure it's all burnt as the wheat burns and the gluten is destroyed ... but I don't trust it!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06