Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

georgie

What Does A Glutening Feel Like ?

I thought I would try some dessert last night. You know ...friends around... just alittle bit ... Well - no instant pain - so thought I was OK and perhaps only Gluten Intolerent and healing ...

Today - 12 hours later have stomach pain ( mild ) and mild Diarrohea.

Have I been Glutened ? I mean. Does it get worse than this and do some of you folks actually eat something and know you will suffer later? Do the Glutenings vary according to how much you eat or type of meal. I have only slight pain so does that mean I only have a slight GI problem??? Haven't had a biopsy and too late now to try. Blood tests were OK.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A glutening happens immediately after the gluten containing food passes your lips!

The answer will vary according to who you are, how sick you are, how well you are, how much you ate... etc. But, as someone who just did something very dumb... I will tell you, I am suffering from severe dizziness, nausea, my stomach is KILLING me, I can barely stand up because I feel like I'm going to fall back over. I'm miserable, and I'm KICKING myself for eating that darn bun with my sandwich. And, I just know that feeling the way I do, it's only a matter of time before the "big D" sets in.

*Never* again.

:(

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

it really varies by person. everyone's symptoms are different. that you noticed a change soon after this food is one good indicator, but only repeat exposure really tells each of us what it's like, and I can't recommend you try that. ;)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

It was only a small amount of flour but am surprised by my mild reaction. Don't worry - not planning to try again ! Can still remember my severe reaction 2 months ago. But hopeful that perhaps some minor healing has happened. That I only have GI.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Georgie, by GI do you mean gluten intolerant?

Well if you are gluten intolerant, it would mean the same diet restrictions as a coeliac, in that you cannot eat gluten. It does not matter whether you have healed or not, you will still not be able to eat any food containing gluten. To do so could and will make you sick. So being gluten intolerant means being gluten free for life.

Catherine

Georgie, by GI do you mean gluten intolerant?

Georgie--Jayhawkmom is correct--the minute you swallow, you are glutened. The reaction time is different in everyone. AND, the longer you are gluten free, the worse the reaction, most will say. Being glutened always gives me diarrhea, severe cramping, and my tummy ends up feeling like one huge black and blue for more than a week. Now barley causes a slightly different reaction--I havent figured out why. My corn and soy intolerances cause severe constipation with cramping. I have never ate something knowing I would get sick, not since going gluten free. I have been glutened only a few times by accident. My daughter caught me with an ice cream cone at a family reunion once--before I got to the cone, she let out a yell, "Mom, you can't eat that!!!!" I don't know what happened to my mind, I honestly didn't even realize I had a cone. The same reunion, my sister had made some wonderful gluten-free zucchini muffins and her hubby brought her one, told her how wonderful they were and she took a bite--immediately realizing he had not gotten one of her muffins. At that point, she became a master spitter...amazingly, she was not glutened by the accident. Steve felt so bad, he was sure it was the muffin she had made. Her daughter brought some chocolates from Germany, Judy read the ingred and thought they were ok, forgetting that foreign country's do not have the same food standards as the US and she was very sick because of the maltodextrin in the candy. SOOOOOOOO, it happens to us all and most of us do pay dearly for accidents. Deb

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!