• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jmengert

Nausea After/during Endoscopy?

Rate this topic

After having elevated blood levels after nearly two years gluten-free, my GI is giving me a biopsy on Wednesday. My blood levels were so high when I was diagnosed that I didn't need to have a scope then.

So, I've never been in the hospital, never had any kind of anesthesia, nothing...and I'm TERRIFIED of Wednesday. I get nauseous very easily, and everyone in my family gets sick from anesthesia. So, have any of you had problems with the sedative for the endoscopy? I'm being given Versed, which my doctor said is short acting, but you never know.

Also, were any of you awake during it, or does it pretty much knock you out? I don't want any knowledge of a tube going down my throat. This particular doctor doesn't numb the throat, either, so I'm even more worried....

Any encouragement or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Jmengert,

I can understand why you are nervous! It can be daunting and overwhelming to go through this.

Let me share my experiences (I've had three endoscopies (and one that also did a colonoscopy), a separate colonoscopy, and an upcoming (2 weeks) endo/colonoscopy --- I have issues beyond Celiac; some of these procedures were for Celiac though.

Honestly, I am a big chicken. Big, big, big chicken. And through all the procedures, I was fine. When they normally do the procedures you are NOT given general anesthesia, in which you need an MD anesthesiologist and is much more complicated. Instead, you are given sedative(s), like the one you are going to have, Versed. I have had that one at least twice if not more. They give you a little IV and it starts to take effect ... I felt like I was falling into a deep slumber. I don't think they used a spray on me at all. The procedure is actually very quick--like 10 or 15 min if I remember correctly. It IS short acting, which is why they give it bc it is such a quick procedure. Chances are, you will be out for it completely. I have opened my eyes at one point but I promptly went back out. Honestly, not traumatic.

I felt pretty out of it afterwards, but that is to be expected. I know it is overwhelming, but it is something you can do! I was surprised at how easy both the endo/colonoscopy are....and like I said, I'm a baby about things! It is nice though to have a great person to wake up to, to hold your hand, brush your hair back, rub your arm---all the nice little comforting things make it a lot easier to adjust to because you realize quickly then that you are ok! I hope it goes well---I KNOW you can do it! Let me know if you have any other questions...PM me if you'd like.

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you!

Laura

I am also having a Endoscopy/biopsy/colonoscopy on Weds. This will be my second Endoscopy. Never did the Colonoscopy before so kinda worried about that. the endoscopy left my throat slightly scratchy but by later that afternoon i was totally fine, maybe a little more tired than usual but thats it. i was awake the whole bit- the anesthetic didn't take effect for me until towards the end, i remember my GI guy saying I am almost finished, then I conked. they spray a numbing med in the throat to numb the gag reflex and really didn't feel much. it was awkward and uncomfortable, thats it.

:)

B

Thanks for the input! I'm also a big, big chicken, so tomorrow has me terrified. I guess it's because it's my first procedure of any kind (excepting various ultrasounds and x-rays over the years). I just hate things that are invasive, and I hate the idea of being drugged. But, if it knocks me out and lets me forget what's going on, I'm all for it!

Thanks again!

I was a bit scared as well, but things weren't as bad as they seemed. I don't remember being sick, just sort of had scattered pain throughout the day. It wasn't anything that needed medication and I felt fine the next day.

My endoscopy was easy breezy. The only pain was actually from the biopsy - felt a little bit like I had done a few too many sit-ups, but nothing unbearable. I recovered from the anethesia quickly, and didn't have much of a sore throat either, from what I remember (it's been a few years).

I was out for mine, only have slight memories of coming out of the anethesia.

You'll be fine! :)

- Lauren

Really Julie--there's no much to it. I was out for mine and don't remember a thing.

The seditive they use is not the same as general, so it dosen't cause the nausea in most cases. I was not nauseous at all when I woke up--I actually felt ok. I was thirsty, though!

Try and relax today, it'll be over before you know it :)

It's my understanding that they usually don't "knock out" adults. They will give small children a general (or local) anesthesia, but adults just get medications that make them forgetful and laid back.

I had versed and Demerol. I was told I would be conscious, but sedated. I was sound asleep. =)

I remember being wheeled into the room, my doctor said something that made me laugh....and next thing I know, it's an hour later, and I'm waking up in the room I started out in.

Honestly, I'm a big baby too - but this was really quite "nothing" to me.

Lots of luck to you!!!!!!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate these responses! I'm stupidly obsessing about this, so it's great to hear all of these positive stories. At least tomorrow at this time it will all be over!

Thank you all!

I'd ask them for a narcotic as well. My first scope was a breeze, I had midazolam (Versed), Fentanyl (a narcotic) and the hurricane spray. The second one was done by a different doctor and all I got was the midazolam and it was not the best experience. As to whether or not you will get nausea, everyone is different. I have no problems with anesthetic, I feel totally fine when I wake up. Some people experience a lot of nausea and or vomiting. Best of luck to you tomorrow! Just tell them your concerns and what you want!

I had versed and Demerol. I was told I would be conscious, but sedated. I was sound asleep. =)

I remember being wheeled into the room, my doctor said something that made me laugh....and next thing I know, it's an hour later, and I'm waking up in the room I started out in.

Honestly, I'm a big baby too - but this was really quite "nothing" to me.

I just had my biopsy today and had the same experience. They gave me the demerol and versed and I was out until the recovery room; I remember nothing of the procedure itself. The rest of the afternoon post-procedure is somewhat hazy, but I do remember most of it.

Frankly the most uncomfortable part was the procedure room was cold and I was wearing a skimpy gown, so I was freezing until the nurse brought me a blanket (without me having to ask).

I hope you made out okay today and weren't too nervous. I had my endoscopy done last Wednesday and was really nervous about it, too. I don't know why; I've had several procedures that were more invasive than this. I didn't remember a single thing and woke up in recovery an hour and a half later. I had absolutely no pain, nausea or discomfort afterwards, but I was extrememely groggy the entire day and slept a lot. My hubby was home and took care of the kids so it wasn't a biggie. BTW, I was freezing, too!! :P

I made it through just fine! It was not a big deal at all, which makes me very happy. I had it early this morning, and I came home and slept for a few hours. Now I'm just groggy with a sore throat, but I remember nothing after, "roll over, please." And then I woke up in recovery. And the whole thing only took 20 minutes, which is great.

Thanks again for everyone's supportive and kind words!

Sp glad I found this thread..I am having an Endoscopy and colonoscopy at 10 am tomorrow...you guys have made me feel so much better... :D

I am so glad I found this forum last month...

I guess the worst thing is going to be in a few hours when I start the high powered laxative...LMAO, but the way I have been going lately....how bad could that be... :blink::rolleyes: