This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Expect For Colonoscopy..

breann6

breann6 Contributor

having a colonoscopy on wednesday, along with endoscopy/biopsy. I have had the endoscopy before. no worries there.

What should i expect for the coloscopy? is it typically done under sedation?

thanks!

Breann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

At least for me the same as the endo., but you have to drink alot of that crappy stuff, or take alot of those horse pills. I had a hard time getting those down. It certain was more difficult than the endo.

Good luck and hope you have good results.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Breann.

I had a colo and endo done on the same day last year. It was my first, and I was pretty nervous!

It actually was not bad at all--the worst part was the prep the day before. I had to drink a gallon of liquid laxative over a 5 hour period, and take an additional dose of Dulcolax before bed. You have D, and then watery D--I didn't have any cramping or even much discomfort, except I did get a little "sore" towards the end.

The procedures were a snap! I was "out" from shortly after the IV was put in, until I woke up in recovery. I don't remember a thing. I felt fine after--but thirsty.

Try not to worry--it's not half as bad as you imagine--really :D

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

What prep has the doctor given you? I've had 3 colonoscopies unfortunately, so I've had several different types of prep. I hated the one that you mix with Gatorade because it made me unbelievably ill (vomiting in addition to D)for much longer than it was supposed to--10 minutes before the exam, I was still using the restroom. The gallon of stuff is by far the best, but it's basically soapy water, so when it's cold, it's totally palatable, but when it got warm towards the end, it made me vomit a good deal, but it was also the most effective and quickest way of clearing the system. At a certain point you will no longer be able to leave the restroom. So bring into the bathroom a few different glasses--it will take you a while to get through one, and then you'll have to start measuring the next one. Then bring an ice bucket in there so that you can make sure that the liquid stays cold. Be sure to bring some good reading because you'll be there for a while.

The prep is the worst part. The procedure is a breeze, and if you're doctor is any good, you won't even remember a thing.

breann6 Contributor

my prep is the osmo prep. its a ton of pills over a few hours. i think Four? its like thirty something pills. plus dulcolax. I don't think I'd ever be able to drink the liquid crap. i vomit easy. I had to do a prep simular for a surgery last year, just not this extensive....my tummy is feeling bruised now....im scared of tuesday! just ready to get this resolved-

Lisa Mentor

The worst will be chugging those pills..... I too had a problem with swallowing the horse pills and to be honest, I did not finish them. Soooo, I was not as clean for the exam. Well shut, let them work harder,they get paid enough. :o (PS: a bad post on my part.........a clean insides is a very viewable scope)

happygirl Collaborator

Just wanted to add my experiences...I've had two colonoscopies and lucky number 3 (as well as my 4th endo) is coming up in two weeks. I have drank the stuff but haven't had the pills. Stick close to the bathroom...sometimes mine came suddenly, other times it was more delayed. make sure not to eat red jello or red kool aid as that can "stain" your insides. keep drinking water to stay hydrated. you might feel 'out' of it some for the rest of the day. I felt nothing after the first one, and a little gassy after the second, but that was about it.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

breann6 Contributor

Thanks guys! :) I am on my fasting part and start chugging at 4:00 pm....I am already starving and my 3yo is in munch mode is making it hard to not eat ;)

Thanks a ton! this site is awesome!

Breann B)

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've only had one and my doc warned me that he did not sedate much. Well, he didn't sedate at all... and it was no big deal. In fact, I watched the whole thing, asking questions as he went along. There was no pain or even discomfort. The prep sucks, but the test itself is so not a big deal... I tell everyone who's reaching that magic age of 50 to go for it!!!

Guest ~jules~

For me, the worse part was the fasting before hand, now that was not fun, can you say 50 ways to eat jell-o by julie??? :D Honestly, its no biggie you get sedated then you wake up, I wasn't in pain or anything, I couldn't even tell anything had happened to me accept the drugs. I thought the endoscopy was more bothersome, when they took the tube out of my throat I gagged on it, that part was uncomfortable. Good Luck to you!

breann6 Contributor
For me, the worse part was the fasting before hand, now that was not fun, can you say 50 ways to eat jell-o by julie??? :D Honestly, its no biggie you get sedated then you wake up, I wasn't in pain or anything, I couldn't even tell anything had happened to me accept the drugs. I thought the endoscopy was more bothersome, when they took the tube out of my throat I gagged on it, that part was uncomfortable. Good Luck to you!

I second that- I am thirty minutes from starting the yuck-fest...ARgh! My stomach is SCREAMING for food- ahhh....please let this go fast.... :( Those pills are staring me in the eye....eeeck! :ph34r:

sspitzer5 Apprentice
having a colonoscopy on wednesday, along with endoscopy/biopsy. I have had the endoscopy before. no worries there.

What should i expect for the coloscopy? is it typically done under sedation?

thanks!

Breann

Hi Breann, I just had my first colonoscopy about a month ago. I drank the big gallon jug o'stuff. I hated that part. It was really hard to keep drinking it. It had a lime flavor which was ok at first but got pretty yucky after drinking a ton of it. The procedure is the easy part. I was out the whole time.

S

Archived