This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Beware Helpful Mothers

mackmackmackie

mackmackmackie Newbie

Howdy,

I found that noodle.com in Randwick makes good gluten free dishes and even has their own gluten free menu. Which is good seeing as i'm moving about 200m away from it very soon.

A quick tale..

After going for what I thought was 3mths without any incidents, my mother accidently swapped my gluten free pudding (the woolies ones, which aren't that bad, but not awful either) with her normal pudding. So low and behold......my first real experience since I stopped eating gluten. Which is strange, coz when I was eating gluten i'd never have a reaction directly from eating anything....

Anyhows, a question..I think even though I hadn't had any gluten, some trace amounts were still getting through.

Does the Nestle Ice-cream, with "Maltodextrin" (even though it doesn't say where it's from, meaning it shouldn't be from wheat) contain gluten? Looking at the ingredients I'd say no...

OR the only other thing I can think about would be Wasabi. The S&B prepared one once again doesn't seem to have gluten, but well....now I gotta be more careful....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Maltodextrin, even though it says "Malt" does not, in fact, contain malt, and should be gluten free. although I am writing from the states, and don't know what it's like internationally :P

Being glutened by family is a bummer though :( I know....my MIL tries, but with three unruly children, CC happens!

Good luck!

Mango04 Enthusiast
Does the Nestle Ice-cream, with "Maltodextrin" (even though it doesn't say where it's from, meaning it shouldn't be from wheat) contain gluten? Looking at the ingredients I'd say no...

OR the only other thing I can think about would be Wasabi. The S&B prepared one once again doesn't seem to have gluten, but well....now I gotta be more careful....

In Australia, any gluten would need to be clearly marked on the label. If it just says maltodextrin, but doesn't say where it's from, you should be okay. (The label reading in this country is just way too easy :P)

Oh...and I wanted to add...if you're reading about how to find gluten on food labels, make sure you're finding sources of info. that are specific to Australia. It's much much much much different in the States, and you might be mislead to think it's more complicated than it is (in the US they're allowed to really hide substances in our food products...whereas it's a bit easier to actually know what you're eating in Australia). :)

Saz Explorer

Hey what pudding are u talking is it a specific woolies brand? Or are you talking about the simple brand ones? I've tired the simple brand before. Anyway plz let me know!

CarlaB Enthusiast

If you were getting gluten before, I'd check out the wasabi. Maltodextrin is fine.

• 2 months later...
Marg E Rookie
In Australia, any gluten would need to be clearly marked on the label. If it just says maltodextrin, but doesn't say where it's from, you should be okay. (The label reading in this country is just way too easy :P)

Oh...and I wanted to add...if you're reading about how to find gluten on food labels, make sure you're finding sources of info. that are specific to Australia. It's much much much much different in the States, and you might be mislead to think it's more complicated than it is (in the US they're allowed to really hide substances in our food products...whereas it's a bit easier to actually know what you're eating in Australia). :)

I find the labelling in Australia awful! They don't mark it as "gluten" but in all it's other myriad of names and thickeners and numbers. In hte UK supermarkets like Tesco's for instance have an allergens label and will state it's gluten-free or contains gluten. I find some products on the supermarket shelves here don't even have ingredients lists. And at the deli, if they package the meat themselves, they don't need an ingredient list by law and you know how much gluten can be in hams, bacon etc!!! YIKES!! (NB: HANS do brilliant gluten free bacon, ham, salamis, cooked sausage etc) If they sorted the labelling out and every product had gluten-free or contains gluten on it - there would be virtually no accidents in restaurants and at family dinners! I've had my rant! (And Healtheries do brilliant gluten free muesli) Does anyone know of any gluten free breath mints? Thanksx

• 1 year later...
twinsmom Rookie

I know this string is old, but has anyone found out if S&B Prepared Wasabi in a tube is gluten free. The only thing that is suspect is the artificial flavor (which could go either way)...?

Twinsmom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived