This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving... Ugh!

brizzo

brizzo Contributor

Well, this is my first upcoming Thanksgiving since I have been gluten-free. I can't wait to go to Grandma's house and explain to every relative why I am not eating. Then they can all think that I am anorexic or sick. And then I get to explain what Glunten Intolerence is 350 times, again and again! :( I guess I will eat before I go and bring my favorite pack of Camel Lights and a REALLY BIG bottle of Red Wine. It almost seems to not even be worth it......

Okay, I'm done venting! Sorry guys, I had to post.....I know that there is someone else out there with these same issues going through their mind. I will be thinking of you all on thanksgiving. One thing that I am thankfull for... THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Later all, BRIZZO!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

make something really yummy for you and carry it with you, that way you aren't making yourself miserable... shoot maybe even make enough to share with others if you feel like it.

like, get a small turkey breast and roast it and make whatever sides with it you really really love. One thing this lifestyle forces most of us to do is develop a thick skin where others are concerned. this will be my fourth T-giving gluten-free and I really don't care what anyone says about what I am or am not eating. I make sure I have plenty of goodies for me and my daughter to eat and everyone else can just go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned! One year my uncle kept pestering me to try a pie that he had made and I kept refusing and even tried to explain why and eventually just said , LOOK I'M NOT GOING TO EAT IT OK??? I'M SURE IT'S YUMMY BUT IT WILL MAKE ME VERY SICK, DO YOU WANT THAT? NO? GOOD. Besides, I had my awesome pumpkin pie to dive into.

kabowman Explorer

I had to go somewhere else last year for Thanksgiving and I took my own food in a cooler and heated it up and ate with everyone else. I then went home and fixed myself a Thanksgiving meal that I could eat. We refused to take any leftovers so the second meal was nice for that. I ended up having a nice time, even if I didn't eat what everyone else was eating.

This year, they are coming to my house and my inlaws now hate me because we brought my dog inside - according to them he is an Outside Dog and not an Inside Dog (because, as you know there IS a difference!!) and I made my nephew behave in my house, which I do for all kids that visit my house. My boys and their friends all receive the same treatment and we have yet to have had a problem before now. We do put the dog up when they visit but they don't stay long and will never sleep at our house, well, not sure why but they refuse and I am not arguing either.

So, my venting is: my inlaws that hate me becuase I am the only one who will say boo to them and not hide my animals (all the other sister-in-laws have animals but they hide theirs, like that makes a difference), to my dog smelling, fur everywher, cat sitting on the table and drinking out of our glasses, ice and water in the 'fridge door, kid hating house for Thanksgiving. To which, they are bringing their OWN food, from Florida so they won't have to stoop to eating my food. And I put out a huge spread and am a great holiday food cook. Three kinds of meat, three kinds of dressing (mine and two of theirs), salad, veggies, etc., etc., etc...By the way, my house does NOT stink.

OK, I feel a little better.

jerseyangel Proficient

Sorry Kate,

Your vent made me smile--because I can relate :D

My family (and my inlaws) all liked me better before I finally worked up the nerve to speak up for myself and do what I now need to do to stay well. Interesting dynamic that I'm sure we could talk about for hours!

I think your cat and mine would get along very well ;):lol:

Pilgrim South Rookie
Well, this is my first upcoming Thanksgiving since I have been gluten-free. I can't wait to go to Grandma's house and explain to every relative why I am not eating. Then they can all think that I am anorexic or sick. And then I get to explain what Glunten Intolerence is 350 times, again and again! :( I guess I will eat before I go and bring my favorite pack of Camel Lights and a REALLY BIG bottle of Red Wine. It almost seems to not even be worth it......

Okay, I'm done venting! Sorry guys, I had to post.....I know that there is someone else out there with these same issues going through their mind. I will be thinking of you all on thanksgiving. One thing that I am thankfull for... THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Later all, BRIZZO!

Hi Brizzo,

I surely understand. I have been in your shoes and being different is not easy. However, sometimes being different is much more rewarding that being one of the crowd! :) Our son (18), probably my mother (deceased) and grandmother (also deceased), my father in law (died of alzheimers and diagnosed as celiac in autopsy), sister in law, 3 grandchildren (so far-out of 9) and I all have celiac (maybe even my husband). Each has had their own way of coping with such a drastic change in their eating habits. Its terribly hard for some, easier for others. Since I was in bed ill for years and got to where all I could eat was baby food, (almost died), being put on a gluten free diet and the hope of improvement looked wonderful! I have looked on it as a great challenge for my good and a way to give good to others! Along with a few other changes in my life, eating gluten free has helped me become healthier, which enables me to serve my family again. We have had such a great time cooking gluten free, even on the days, in the beginning, when the recipe floped. We would laugh and try again! Now with all the wonderful "boxed" gluten-free choices and recipes how can anyone go wrong?! I am still unable to eat most of what I bake and cook, but my family can and loves just about everything made! That feeds me great joy!

The holidays can be difficult, I remember the early years of eating gluten free well! Many people do not understand that even one crumb can be a disaster to us, and "just try a little" is like a time bomb. It surely can be frustrating to try to get others to understand. I have settled to where I know what I have to do to maintain my health and I let them "watch" what is happening with me and hope that it helps someone else. That is just what has happened in our family. They have seen me go from an unhealthy skinny groutch (eating gluten does that to a lot of people) to a sweet mom and grandma (at least I hope I am) that will help others get healthy too. I take my own food with me wherever I go without even a thought. Its now habit! Knowing that if I don't, I will not eat, be tempted to eat things I shouldn't (and become sick) and not enjoy myself at all.

Actually, I think more people than we realize have some sort of intestinal problems that they just don't talk about and eating gluten free would be of benefit to them too! Not that we should go around telling everyone they should eat gluten free , but as they "watch" our excitement at our new journey with such a beneficial life change, they too may begin taking steps to feel better. Many people just don't know how to take that first step, or what gluten free even looks like or what benefit it can have to someone with intestinal trouble. My little plate/bag of gluten free food has traveled with me to restaurants, the grocery store, grandma's house, ball games, shopping trips, out of town, airplanes, friends houses, picnics, church functions, holiday meals, evenings with friends, date night with my husband, etc. and etc.

My natural Dr. said 95% of the people he treats do better on a gluten free diet. Wow, that means out of all your family members, there are probably some whose health would be helped by knowing about eating gluten free! I feel for you, its terribly hard going into a group where you know poisons for your body lurk on every corner of the table. Might I suggest taking your own little Thanksgiving dinner plate/bag? You could cook up some gluten-free turkey breast, get a pkg of Road's End Organics Savory Herb Gravy mix, vegetables, sweet pots, get a delicious gluten-free frozen pie from Whole Foods, plus some of their frozen gluten-free rolls. You would have a delicious dinner and not miss the joy of spending Thanksgiving giving thanks with all your relatives! If you lived close by I would just make you a thankgiving meal myself to take with you! Hope this helps...Pilgrim

brizzo Contributor

Thanks to all for the good and kind words. I have faith this will NOT be as hard as I think it will..... Happy turkey day!

jnclelland Contributor
Might I suggest taking your own little Thanksgiving dinner plate/bag? You could cook up some gluten-free turkey breast, get a pkg of Road's End Organics Savory Herb Gravy mix,

This sounded great to me, so I just looked up the gravy mix. I'm gluten/dairy/soy-free, and unfortunately it contains soy. Does anyone know a good gluten/dairy/soy-free gravy mix? Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town for Thanksgiving and won't have access to the turkey drippings to make my own.

Jeanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

almostnrn Explorer

Eventhough last year was technically my first gluten-free Thanksgiving, I was lucky enough to be sick with the stomach flu so eating wasn't much of an issue. I'm gonna somehow cook a feast this year...not sure how and I've been thinking I should start to experiment with some recipes here shortly.

Kate,

Sorry about your stressfull time, but oh what a chuckle I got from it...been there...divorced that.

And finally and worstly...I'm going to be spending this Thanksgiving without my mom for the first time. She was the undeniable queen of great holiday food....oh how I will miss it. On a brighter note....I"m not giving up on the food this year!!! Thanksgiving has ALWAYS been my favorite...all of the fun and good food of Christmas and I won't be nearly as broke when its done! So lets all tip up a glass of what ever alcoholic beverage is closest and start cooking....lets impress all of those fun filled relatives with our ability to make better food without wheat than with it!!!! I hope you all have a holiday as wonderful as I'm planning to have!!!

Guest ~jules~

I'm not so worried about the food as much as I am being around the family ALL DAY LONG ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! <_<

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm not so worried about the food as much as I am being around the family ALL DAY LONG ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! <_<

:lol: Now that made me laugh!

lonewolf Collaborator

This will be my 11th Thanksgiving where I've had to eat "differently". Nine of those I was wheat, egg, dairy and soy-free, with not much gluten to speak of, and this will be my 2nd fanatically gluten-free Thanksgiving (still no eggs, dairy or soy either). I do remember my first one - it was the hardest. I didn't know how to adapt recipes very well yet, so I felt deprived and was scared to eat anything. I wish I would have had this message board back then!

Brizzo - my best advice is to bake a cornish game hen ahead and take it with you. You can have your own mini "turkey". Take other food too, or offer to bring a couple of your favorites that you know will be safe. Take a package of sweet rice flour and ask if the gravy can be thickened with it. Since it doesn't get lumpy like wheat flour, it just might be a hit with the cook. Instead of dwelling on everything you can't have, focus on how wonderful it is that you've been diagnosed and how much better you're feeling.

Good luck!

miles2go Contributor

Hi Brizzo! Funny, but when I got the wheat allergy dx in April one of my very first thoughts was about Thanksgiving and how difficult it was going to be. That was last year and Thanksgiving ended up being really pretty easy, although I should say it was only three of us. I brought breadcrumbs for the stuffing and my own gluten-free flour for the gravy, passed on the pumpkin chiffon pie or maybe just scraped off the filling from a safe distance from the crust and the rest was all vegetables and wine. In retrospect, I really got more worked up about it than I should have. This year, there will be eight of us and I'm a bit more hesitant as I'm not the host, but heck, I may just stash homemade breadcrumbs in the freezer, bring my flour for the gravy and hope for the best as far as acceptance. gluten-free stuffing really doesn't taste any different from the gluteny-goodness because there is no texture to worry about (other than mush) and that turkey juice all through...gah, I'm drooling already. You've got some great advice already here, so I'd say relax and look forward to Family Dysfunctional Day. After all it is an American tradition!

BTW, I like your quote at the end of your sig.

brizzo Contributor

Family Dysfunctional Day! I love it! I can definatly look forward to my annual reminder that the ONLY thing that my family has in common is genetics!!! lol :P

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm sorry so many people are having such a rough time of Thanksgiving. Brizzo, definitely bring something you can safely eat with you, so you don't have to go hungry, and let them go wacko, being FULLY SECURE in the knowledge that you are doing EXACTLY what you need to do to stay HEALTHY. :)

brizzo Contributor

I wil totally bring some food with me......but I am still bringing my cherished bottle of red wine... maybe 2 ! Me sober+family gathering = headache! :P

valzues Rookie

I can totally relate, I have only been on this 3 weeks now. Thanksgiving will be tough. My Mom makes thee best homemade rolls and I can't eat them. Oh well; hey I used to bodybuild, if I can have that kind of discipline I can do this gluten free stuff. I guess thats what I get for doing that kind of sport. My Mom says thats what caused this.... Whatever!!! I sure do miss my PIZZA!!!!!!!! I have tried two pizza doughs and they are YUCK!! I am not liking this. I am thankful this thanksgiving, I still can drink wine. TC!!

MistressIsis Apprentice

well this'll be my 2nd holiday season gluten-free and my 1st away from my entire family! MWHAHAHAHA!!

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'll be making myself something yummy. maybe I'll just eat ice cream & drink booze all day in front of the fire.

Last year my Mom actually made me my own everything and made sure I got to me food 1st as people were starting to poke at it. Mind you they had 2 long tables FILLED with food. And even though they all know that I'm eating again & what's wrong I had to go through it all over again with all of them until I finally just said, ask someone else, walked away & sat down to eat. The stuffing was icky but it was a 1st try. I was just impressed Mom actually heard & understood.

My favorite Auntie made me a cheesecake with no crust or flour & homemade chocolate sauce for it.

I was sorta dating a guy at the time & his Mom made me my own dinner as well, so I literally had to eat 2 full meals!! She has all sorts of food allergies so she gets it!

Of course I had no idea of CC then so I wonder how much better it'll be this year

kabowman Explorer
I wil totally bring some food with me......but I am still bringing my cherished bottle of red wine... maybe 2 ! Me sober+family gathering = headache! :P

OMG!!!! This is what I used to do before I realized that wine was OUT for me. Now I take margaritas, I am not eating Thanksgiving that day anyway, might as well go all out. My DH family has several family reunions a year, each one brings with it a cooler for DH and me. Not that I don't love them but too much of them could drive us to divorce--which DH found out summer 2005 when his parents were visiting us 5 to 7 days every week all summer long and I finally freaked OUT!!!!!

panda Newbie

I invited everyone to my house this year! We are all eating gluten free (im not telling until after dinner). Turkey, gravy, salmon with daddysams glaze, a rice and dried fruit stuffing (popular in russia and other parts of eastern europe), sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn custard (barefoot contessa), green beans almondine, roasted root veggies, corn muffins, apple crisp, chocolate moose and pumpkin pie!! We even have appetizers including hummus, deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with spinace and feta) and a veggie tray with a yummy dip (fat free mayo and salsa). My guests are bringing wine, one is bringing the veggie tray and deviled eggs and another one makes great choc moose!! Im excited!! As far as ther personalities go---well--mayabe ill write a book some day!! GOBBLE GOBBLE

arc Newbie

I have a similar issue, as this will be my first year at the in-laws while gluten free. We will be there all week, so if I want to have something different, I'll have to cook it at their house the day before. I'm mostly worried that my MIL will make a huge deal out of it and try to change everything to suit me, thereby making everyone else pissed at me because we are breaking tradition. :ph34r:

kabowman Explorer

As much of a pain my MIL has been, I have never had an issue with her making my eating difficult--or anyone else in my family. This is more, you yelled at my grandson and we moved a dog into the house. Even me being outspoken wasn't a big deal until you throw the other things into the mix. Maybe though, nobody says anything about my food because I am outspoken, who is to know...

Good luck to us ALL!!!

es2443 Contributor

Hi Everyone. I've been reading the boards for a few months now but this is the first time I am posting. I am new to this gluten free thing. I am not diagnosed although I have been tested and I was told by the dietian at my college to try going wheat free. It ended up helping a ton and I've gone completely gluten free. As I am reading this thread I am confused about gluten in turkey. Are there certain brands to stay away from? And are there any ones you know of that are safe?

Guest nini
Hi Everyone. I've been reading the boards for a few months now but this is the first time I am posting. I am new to this gluten free thing. I am not diagnosed although I have been tested and I was told by the dietian at my college to try going wheat free. It ended up helping a ton and I've gone completely gluten free. As I am reading this thread I am confused about gluten in turkey. Are there certain brands to stay away from? And are there any ones you know of that are safe?

if it's just turkey with no additives it should be safe, but some companies inject a broth into their turkeys that "might" contain gluten. I personally get the fresh turkey from Whole Foods, but I got this from our local support group...

FYI: Perdue, Butterball, Honeysuckle White and Norbest have web sites that declare their turkeys are gluten-free. Please read labels and confirm this for yourself as you plan your holiday meals. Discard all gravy and glaze packets.

tarnalberry Community Regular

For everyone who's family goes crazy over 'tradition', remind them of the quote:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. -Emerson

arc Newbie
As I am reading this thread I am confused about gluten in turkey. Are there certain brands to stay away from? And are there any ones you know of that are safe?

For me, the issue is that my MIL cooks the stuffing in the bird and also bastes the bird with the drippings. This pretty much contaminates the whole thing.

Archived