Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hineini

Soy Flour Substitution?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement for soy flour? I try to stay away from soy products, and the gluten-free recipe for pierogi dough that I found calls for 1/4 cup of soy flour in addition to larger amounts of potato starch and tapioca flour. I imagine this is to help it be more elastic. Does anyone know of another flour that has similar properties? THank you!

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I usually avoid all recipes that call for soy flour but I do substitute white rice flour for dry milk without any problems. Not sure that will help you but I don't use any bean flours at all.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

I make Pelmini, which is basically the same as Pierogi. I use brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthan gum. It always turns out great. If you do a search for "pelmini" on here, my recipe for the dough will come up.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Hi, I'm new here, but couldn't resist answering a Russian food question. I make homemade pelmini quite often. The dough is pretty much the same as for pierogy. My youngest son is adopted from Russia and he loves it - doesn't even know it's gluten free. It's really easy and rolls out just like regular dough.For a large batch:1-1/4 C Brown Rice Flour1/2 C Potato Starch1/4 C Tapioca Flourgenerous 2-1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum1 Tbs. oil1/2 tsp. salt1/4+ C WaterSift dry ingredients 3 times. Add oil and water. You will probably need to add a little more water, but do it slowly. Stir until dough forms a ball. Make sure it is not dry! It should be smooth and almost creamy. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out on board dusted with Tapioca flour.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Thanks for the recipe and the suggestions, folks.

I'm definitely going to buy a dough press, which I will use for making the pierogies and also other dumplings in the future.

I'll give it a shot with brown rice flour instead of soy flour, and let you know how it goes

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

I'll give it a shot with brown rice flour instead of soy flour, and let you know how it goes

Good luck! We just had Pelmini for dinner last night. I was out of br. rice flour and used white and it turned out okay, but the br. rice flour works better.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13