• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

oceangirl

Help! No Potato Chips?! (lectin Problem?) Replacement?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone.

I think I am having to concede to having a problem with lectins right now. Cape Cod potato chips were my "safety" food at work. (Meaning, when hungry and in a mad rush, could have those as a starch and filler) But my food log being run through a statistical analysis by my spousal-equivalent is showing them to be highly suspect. I already know I can't eat potatos. (I know, it's weird, but Ursula explained why this might be to me once.) Usually I bring the protein (meat, fish, shrimp...), from last night's supper to work for lunch, veggies, too, but still get hungry. I'm having some trouble digesting too many nuts as well. ANY suggestions? Something snacky and easy? If I have too much Larabar, it hurts. Are there any "veggie chips" out there? I also don't do well with sweet potatos. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

lisa

Lisa:

I don't know the brand name, but there is a flax seed type of tortilla chip that is gluten free. There are really pretty good, but won't give you that salt fix. <_< , but then, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Lisa

Is there some reason why you can't eat plain tortilla chips?

I can't have potato chips either, and that's what I have if I crave a salty greasy snack. :) Or popcorn.

For lunch, maybe bring some rice cakes to have with your leftovers? Bananas? Carrots... umm can't think of anything else right away...

Pauliina

The Terra Chips have several varieties - originally they started with a mix of all different vegetables. But customers liked the sweet potato chips the best so you can buy just a bag of those separate. I've never had their mixed veggie bag since I like the sweet potato chips so much. but it might be worth a try.

Courtney

If potato and sweet potato are out, and you don't want corn chips, you might look into getting a dehydrator and making your own 'chips'. Be it carrot, or flax seeds, or something else. This'll also let you have any flavor you want! :)

If lectins are your problem (they are part of mine, so I can sympathize), then almost all of these suggestions are out

fritos/corn chips/popcorn: out (corn is high in lectin content)

potato: out (nightshade family, high in lectin)

sweet potato: not sure about. but sweet potato is not a nightshade (which potatoes are, which are high in lectin content. same with peppers, eggplant, tomato, etc)

flax: honestly, don't know.

have you seen this site about lectins? very helpful to me: http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

if you are reacting to lectins, be careful of hidden corn sources, like in things like iodized salt, sodas, and just about any and all processed foods. Even things like canned tomatoes has citric acid, which is almost always (and confirmed by tomato companies) derived from corn. Not that you could do tomatoes if you are lectin intolerant, so that was a bad example, but still :)

PM me if you have any questions.

If lectins are your problem (they are part of mine, so I can sympathize), then almost all of these suggestions are out

fritos/corn chips/popcorn: out (corn is high in lectin content)

potato: out (nightshade family, high in lectin)

sweet potato: not sure about. but sweet potato is not a nightshade (which potatoes are, which are high in lectin content. same with peppers, eggplant, tomato, etc)

flax: honestly, don't know.

have you seen this site about lectins? very helpful to me: http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

if you are reacting to lectins, be careful of hidden corn sources, like in things like iodized salt, sodas, and just about any and all processed foods. Even things like canned tomatoes has citric acid, which is almost always (and confirmed by tomato companies) derived from corn. Not that you could do tomatoes if you are lectin intolerant, so that was a bad example, but still :)

PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. No, I don't eat corn, dairy, soy or gluten so it feels tricky. I will look for the Terra chips. Happygirl, thank you for the website! Tiffany, thanks for the dehydrater idea. I guess the rice cakes might be the way to go right now.

Have a great day!

lisa

If you don't mind your "chips" being a bit wet and cold, thinly sliced turnip makes a nice crunchy snack. Can be used for dipping, too.

Celery sticks with peanut butter is good, too.

But there's really nothing that replaces dry, crunchy and salty. The best I've been able to find is Mary's Gone Crackers. They are very good, but pricey. I cannot stand rice cakes, but the rice crackers are okay.

artgirl: mary's gone crackers are out for someone who cannot have lectins, because among other things, they have soy in them. peanut butter is out because peanuts are high in lectins.

corkdarr: hummus is out because it is made from beans, which are legumes, which are all high in lectins.

see the link I posted above for a description of lectins.