This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Remote Control

Noel1965

Noel1965 Apprentice

Would love to get some feedback on this thought : I eat popcorn etc when watching tv. My family could eat anything from chips to a sandwich while watching tv. We all use the remote to change the channels and do not wash our hands at that time. Do you think this could be a factor in cc? Ditto for the computer keyboard....I don't eat the computer but my daughter does......

I was also wondering if that bottled antiseptic hand cleaner ( not sure what they are called) would work to get rid of gluten - it could be left on the coffee table.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor
Would love to get some feedback on this thought : I eat popcorn etc when watching tv. My family could eat anything from chips to a sandwich while watching tv. We all use the remote to change the channels and do not wash our hands at that time. Do you think this could be a factor in cc? Ditto for the computer keyboard....I don't eat the computer but my daughter does......

I was also wondering if that bottled antiseptic hand cleaner ( not sure what they are called) would work to get rid of gluten - it could be left on the coffee table.

It could be a factor in cc. However, I doubt that hand cleaner would do the job...it kills germs, but doesn't actually wash anything off your hands.

Michelle

Noel1965 Apprentice

Michi8 - Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the hand washing - didn't think that stuff would do the trick!

Guhlia Rising Star

Before we all went gluten free, I used to keep containers of baby wipes around the house. Also, gluten items were limited to the kitchen and everyone had to wash their hands after eating. I would recommend doing the wipe thing. It's easier than washing your hands non-stop.

kabowman Explorer

I am very cautious about touching anything that the rest of the family will touch. Such as, I use the remote, wash my hands before I eat, touch the joint pantry handles, wash my hands before cooking or eating, etc.

I have not told my family about this yet, I keep this one to myself but they do wash their hands before touching dishes and pots and pans etc. but not for all the outside stuff. I think that would be going a little too far in my expectations, which are pretty high already.

I don't think I could get them to do it without thinking about it and then I could get sick, thinking they were being careful but teens just don't always think that much!!!!

teebs in WV Apprentice

Here's another one - what about ice cubes? We have an ice maker but it is internal. I am sure that other ice cubes get touched besides the ones that are actually making it into someone's glass. I cringe every time someone reaches for the ice. I am about ready to quit using it.

MauriceGreene Rookie

too pedantic imo. Assuming that your remote control is not made out of carpet, how will you get cross contaminated. The only way I see it happening is if gluten gets stuck in the cracks and then falls out ( I dont see how this could happen) onto your hand then you shove your hand in your mouth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

i think you could drive yourself nuts worrying about every possible thing that people "might" have contaminated with gluten.some obsessive compulsive people become so worried about contracting germs that they will wear gloves constantly. you don't want to become like that.

daffadilly Apprentice

well you do not have to worry about it for it to make you sick. Those of you that are not super sensitive will probably not understand or believe it . It is only those of us that can walk past a bakery & get sick on the fumes, that really get it. & believe me it is really an awful way to be. It is about like the peanut allergy, some react worse than others. & if someone eats peanuts & breathes on a peanut sensitive person, they are sick... or dead.

Nantzie Collaborator

I'm pretty sensitive too. I had a problem getting glutened after my MIL stayed with my kids while we were out of town. She was using hand lotion with gluten in it and doing stuff like doing the dishes and putting them away. I was getting glutened by anything she would have touched, like the silverware (for pete's sake). I had to re-wash all the silverware and no more glutening. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It took me over a week to figure out what it was.

Over the last year, and the first six months of being the only one gluten-free in my house, I just eventually developed a habit of washing my hands before I put anything in my mouth. Now, even with a 98% gluten-free house, I still find myself washing my hands when I don't necessarily need to anymore.

Nancy

Guest cassidy

Who knows if that could make you sick, but why chance it. I wash my hands before I touch any of my food or touch my mouth. I feel like this puts me in control and I don't feel paranoid about touching the remote or other things because even if there is gluten on my hands I'm pretty confident that I won't put it in my mouth.

Since you have non-gluten-free family members I don't think you can expect them to not eat gluten in front of the tv or computer (not saying you are trying to get them to do this). It would be nice if family members understood and just said they would be happy to make sure they didn't get you sick, but I don't think that is real world.

My gluten-free mom was down this weekend. She lives alone so her house is completely gluten-free. She started to make a sandwich directly on the counter and I had to remind her to be careful. She suggested that we have a gluten-free counter top and a gluten coutertop. In theory it sounds good, however, my husband didn't like the idea and I'm pretty sure would forget about it in a few days so I would still have to wipe down an area to make my food.

Maybe this is a good lesson for non-gluten-free kids. They can learn compassion and caring for other people. Some husbands could use learning that lesson as well.

kabowman Explorer

I agree with the sensitivity issue - I have gotten sick off putting my gluten-free safe dressing into a microwave right after (not letting it air out for a minute) someone cooked popcorn - no corn, soy, dairy, etc for me so I am very careful and nobody in our house has ever had an issue with me insisting I cook my food first in the oven, microwave, etc. It is just safer.

I also try not to obsess (do not have OCD) but you watch the kids eating their chips, knowing they will make you sick and handling the remote, you just have to wonder, and NOT take that risk because the next day you are sick, will you remember the remote as a possible point of contamination? I won't...

Archived