• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

casnco

Rolling Pin

Rate this topic

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place for this question but it seems like a good place to start.

I was given a wonderful Rolling Pin. It is wooden. It has ball barings in the handles. My question is... It was my Grandmothers. And of course she used it for making products containing gluten. Is there anyway to assure I have cleaned it enough to be rid of the risk of cross contamination?

Just something to think about... Are there any cracks or areas that would be impossible to clean? Flour could be trapped in there and slowly leak itself out into your food. If the rolling pin is only being used for gluten-free foods, I think I would just invest in a new one. Better safe than sorry.

You know, I realized that I must replace my nice rolling pin just about 2 weeks ago today.

I had one last test and that was when I made my homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles and yes, I got sick. Not too bad but enough that I couldn't eat any leftovers and had to resort to imodium and have vowed to replace it before I make any more. And with Thanksgiving coming up, I need it soon and I am not sure the family will want to wait even that long for another batch of soup!!!!

My old wooden rolling pin that I've had for over 30 years now lives in a hutch in my living room! I couldn't bear to part with it, as I have memories of baking things for my boys for holidays or 'just because'. So, it's there, among other things that mean something, but are not really practical (anymore :( )

I bought a new wooden one when I switched my kitchen to gluten-free. :) I think that's the safest way to go ;)