Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tinap

Could I Have Celiacs?

I'm brand new to this message board.

Let me give you some background - my 5 year old was diagnosed w/celiacs 7/06 (post surgical - who knows when we would have found it otherwise). Since then my niece has been diagnosed as well, so I know my daughter received it from me.

I was quite sure I had it based on my symptoms.......constipation, gassy, hair loss, attention deficiency, exhaustion, anemia.

I was referred to a GI and I requested we skip the blood test and just have the endoscopy. To my surprise he found no indication I had celiacs. Diagnosed me w/IBS instead. Believe me - I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone - but I thought I had an answer to why I was feeling crummy.

Should I have the blood work done? Could I have celiacs w/a clear endoscopy?

I would appreciate any guidance you could give me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The endoscopy can prove you have celiac but cannot rule it out. There is a chance of a false negative, but no chance of a false positive. The reason is that every sq. inch of your intestine is not damaged, so if they take the biopsies from a healthy part, they come back normal even if there's damage somewhere else.

You can do the bloodwork, or you can just try the diet to see what your response is. Dietary response is an accurate diagnostic tool and probably the most accurate way to diagnose celiac.

Welcome to the board!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06