• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Amooliakin

China Anyone?

Rate this topic

I'm new here and new to celiac. My daughter (8 years old) was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago and we have learned everything we can about staying gluten free. She is feeling better and we are getting the hang of it. But we have a family trip planned for December to visit relatives in China. We will ask the folks we know over there for advice on the local stuff. But I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with China or Chinese food here.

Thanks -

I'm new here and new to celiac. My daughter (8 years old) was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago and we have learned everything we can about staying gluten free. She is feeling better and we are getting the hang of it. But we have a family trip planned for December to visit relatives in China. We will ask the folks we know over there for advice on the local stuff. But I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with China or Chinese food here.

Thanks -

I think it depends a great deal on where in China you go and how well you speak Chinese. I spent about a month and a half in Southern China, and I think my biggest problem was MSG. I brought a bottle of wheat-free soy sauce, which came in handy and was gone altogether too soon. I think generally speaking, the biggest concern would be cross-contamination of kitchenware. And the fact that people insist on trying to feed you. I was incredibly fortunate to stay at an excellent hotel, and the dining room staff took very good care of me. Outside the hotel, however, all bets were off. The concept of an allergy or intolerance seems to be unfamiliar. On the plus side, I found plenty of fabulous fresh fruit and it wasn't hard to get steamed fish. And the steamed rice is so much tastier there. I am going back in December, and I'm bringing Tinkyada pasta for the noodle dishes in addition to the wheat-free soy sauce.

You definitely have two advantages: you will be with relatives (who will undoubtably be enthralled with your daughter and won't want her to get sick) and you are her parent (so it's understandable if you get super picky about her food). Or at least, that would be my hope.

For what it's worth, I flew United and requested the fruit plate (they have a gluten-free option on the website, but not when I tried to request one on the phone. Go fig.). It came with cookies, but luckily the person seated next to me thought they were delicious.

I hope you have a wonderful visit, and that your daughter has a happy, healthy time.

I visited China ealier this summer. I think other people on this site were there as well. We talked about China (back on page 7 by now ) if that is helpful: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3590

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kristi

My goodness! I had no idea there would be so much experience in China! We will be going to southern China - Hong Kong and Shanghai with some side trips. My partner speaks Chinese fluently - because she was born and raised there..... hence the relatives.....

I will keep the MSG thing in mind and definitely bring our own soy sauce. I think we are also traveling on United Airlines, so if there is a gluten-free choice, we will choose it. Of course we will also have lots of food with us.