This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Made It Thru The First Year!

TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I dont know where this should be posted.. but I chose here to start, I am sure it will be moved if appropriate. I just wanted to toot my own horn for a second... I have officially made my first year of gluten free living. I cant say I feel totally better yet, but the improvement is huge. Last year at this time I was down sooo much weight, my wedding dress seamstress told me I was not allowed to lose any more weight!

Not that I still need to anyway... but that isnt the point. I have made it.. and to all those who havent reached a year yet.. just hang in there.. it gets easier and better. I am so used to reading the labels and watching what and where I eat.. its not even a second thought anymore!

I have babbled on enough.. thanks for listening! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest melannen

Congratulations!! Great job and keep it up :D

ElizabethN Apprentice

That is great! I too just hit the year mark. It's a mixed blessing huh? I agree with you totally that the label reading is so much easier now- that is the thing that overwhelmed me the most, at first it seemed like there was nothing, absolutely nothing that I could eat. Now it is second nature to always check ingredients and I have found plenty of great food I can still eat. Hopefully it is all downhill from here, right?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Congrats!

Brief hijack :ph34r: : Ty's one year was in August. Last night after trick or treating, Dad said why can't you have a Mars bar? And Ty said. Malt. Then after label reading Daddy learned Mars has malted barley. Yay for kids who know more than dads! Also, Yay for dads who don't mind learning.

Now back to patting Tink on the back. Attagirl!

almostnrn Explorer

Happy gluten-free year to you...happy gluten-free year to you...happy gluten-free year dear Tink....happy gluten-free year to you. Congrats!!!!

Guest cassidy

Congrats! That is a big accomplishment. I'm almost there myself and I remember my anniversary monthly.

jerseyangel Proficient

Congratulations on getting the first year under your belt! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adelle Enthusiast

Yay! Are u gonna make a gluten-free cake to celebrate? Congrats to you!!

sissy6078 Newbie

Good for you!!! My Mom and I have just hit the 1st year mark. I agree with all of you that identifying gluten is soooo much easier after doing it a while. We were a bit overwhelmed at first. Now, if something we like has gluten, we find a recipe and make it ourselves!!

I do have a question for you seasoned celiacs. I am having my annual physical this week and would like to know if there are any blood tests that I should have? I am currently taking medication for hypo thyroid, so I know to get that checked, but I'm just wondering about anything else.

Once again, great job and continued success with gluten free living!!! :)

Thanks for the help,

Janie

AndreaB Contributor

Congratulations!

Guhlia Rising Star

Congratulations! The first year is the hardest. It just gets easier by the day from this point on. :) Hope you can make a few moments to celebrate this "anniversary".

dlp252 Apprentice

Congratulations!!!

Mango04 Enthusiast

Congrats!

floridanative Community Regular

Congrats on your accomplishment! I know it must feel really great to look back at where you began and where you are now. I'm looking forward to celebrating my ann. in Jan.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Congrats!! I remember that 1 year mark. It is such a great feeling. Celebrate with some gluten-free brownies or something :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Lisa Mentor

Over the hump now, down hill from now!!!! :D:D

2ofus2kids2dogs Apprentice

Congratulations!! A year is really awesome. I've only been gluten-free a month - tomorrow. All of you give me hope.

I hope you celebrate!

Melissa :D

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Great Job!!!! Congrats!!

Susanna Newbie
Congrats!

Brief hijack :ph34r: : Ty's one year was in August. Last night after trick or treating, Dad said why can't you have a Mars bar? And Ty said. Malt. Then after label reading Daddy learned Mars has malted barley. Yay for kids who know more than dads! Also, Yay for dads who don't mind learning.

Now back to patting Tink on the back. Attagirl!

What a great story--thanks for sharing it! My son, Tanner, has just been gluten-free for 5 months, but he sorted all his Halloween candy, then asked me to double check it--he did a great job in the sorting, and crowed happily about all that was left OK for him to eat and didn't bat an eye at the stuff I got rid of. I am thankful for blessings like this.

tarnalberry Community Regular

congrats!! glad to hear you're doing so much better!

snapple Apprentice

Congratulations! I will hit my 1 year mark in Dec. and have recently marveled at how much easier it has gotten since begining this crazy journey. I hope you celebrate!

Kate

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Thank you all for your congrats! I havent had a chance to celebrate as I cant open my mouth all the way for a bit.. I have strained muscles in my jaw.. and it hurts soo much.. but as soon as I can.. gluten free cupcakes all the way!!!!

breann6 Contributor

It was really nice to read your post as i sit here in an overwhelmed state at where to begin, and my eyes hurting from reading all the ant sized labels :blink: ....I can't wait for all this to be second nature, thanks for posting what you did, i needed that to lift this fog i'm in :)

Breann

oh and most importantly- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Creative-Soul Newbie
It was really nice to read your post as i sit here in an overwhelmed state at where to begin, and my eyes hurting from reading all the ant sized labels :blink: ....I can't wait for all this to be second nature, thanks for posting what you did, i needed that to lift this fog i'm in :)

Breann

oh and most importantly- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I second everything Breann said...every chance I get I zip on here and read until I can't see straight, and it's great to find all the positives, like your reaching this milestone! Congrats to you!

Archived