Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sashabetty

Nishino In Seattle

I went to Nishino to get some takout sushi the other day, and talk about nice and helpful. After I explained my dietary needs they:

checked to make sure the spicy tuna roll was gluten free,

made sure I knew that something I had ordered had soy sauce (it was for my husband, I then heard them repeat two times, it's for her husband),

let me know they weren't going to include the wasabi because it had wheat in it (I haven't heard that before but I have wondered!),

and offered me wheat-free soy sauce.

I felt pretty sure that I wasn't going to get any gluten, and it was scrumptous.

And it really is a nice sit down date restaurant rather than a takeout place. With much more than sushi.

Yay, somewhere else I can eat!

Sasha

A place in Bellevue on NE8th, just east of 405, a bit past Whole Foods. I can't remember the name of the place. It's alright, but I haven't asked for anything specific. I'm on the east side, and don't get into Seattle all that often.

Wasabi has WHEAT in it? :blink:

Oops.

Read the label. Maybe theirs does.

Powdered "wasabi" in the little green can: horseradish, mustard, FD&C blue no.1, FD&C yellow no. 5.

Notice that one thing it doesn't have in it is wasabi, a pricey root grown in irrigated marshlands in Japan or special greenhouses in Oregon.

Powdered "wasabi" in the little green can: horseradish, mustard, FD&C blue no.1, FD&C yellow no. 5.

Notice that one thing it doesn't have in it is wasabi, a pricey root grown in irrigated marshlands in Japan or special greenhouses in Oregon.

:lol::lol::lol:

Wasabi has WHEAT in it? :blink:

Oops.

Wasabi itself, if you can get the fresh real thing, does not have wheat in it, but prepared wasabi (found in a tube or in in a can or jar in powdered form), which may or may not contain any actual wasabi, could have wheat in it. it's worth checking the label or asking your sushi chef.

My husband says that wasabi is just the Japanese word for horseradish.

Not the same, just related. From wiki:

Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana, syn. Cochlearia armoracia) is a perennial plant of the Brassicaceae family, which includes mustard and cabbages.

Wasabi (Wasabia japonica, Cochlearia wasabi, or Eutrema japonica) is a member of the cabbage family.