• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Lisa

As News Gets Out...i Have Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

Guest Kathy Ann

Hi Kathy Ann,

I rarely eat most of those things just because I didn't grow up eating them. I'm sure your corner feels small right now, but I don't feel like my food choices are limited. Just like I'm learning not to feel limited without bread (I don't like the gluten free stuff).

There are entire cultures who do perfectly fine without most of the foods I'm allergic to. I know I am just being spoiled. But I guess we get really attached to what we eat every day. I'm trying to be content and grateful for plain meat, vegetables and some fruit. It has become boring to me, but would be a feast to someone else. It's Thanksgiving and time to be honestly "thankful." :)

I'm sorry you're having a mopey day. It's ok to feel like you aren't being properly spoiled, you'll find other ways to spoil yourself. Flowers. Manicures. Way expensive haircuts that no-one should be getting.

It's only food

Kathy Ann,

I PM'd you. I have another question though. Can you eat turkey, potatoes, rice, chicken broth, Ener-G brown rice loaf, pumpkin, gluten-free rice milk, Spectrum shortening, flax seed meal, yams, tapioca starch, maple syrup and most spices? If so, I can set you up with some pretty good recipes for Thanksgiving that are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, corn-free and legume-free. Let me know if you're interested.

Guest Kathy Ann

Thanks so much for the great recipes so far! I really appreciate your time. I think I can have all of the foods you just named in this thread.

Yes. Definitely. I want the recipes! :)

Oh, I feel for you. Nobody invites us for dinner or parties anymore because of me. The family always eats good stuff infront of me. I know I can't ask them not to, but it is still very hard sometimes. They talk about how hard it would be if they couldn't eat "this and this" (and here they always insert a very detailed picture on how something tastes sooo good) and my sister in law is doing her (you will be able to eat it in a while).

I find myself missing diary more than gluten and having problems with soy is sure not making things any easier when most stuff seem to have soy instead of gluten or diary. I am suspecting egg and maybe corn... Who knows. My mind doesn't even wanna go there. Think about it. I almost feel panicked if I do. Food is my enemy now. I only eat to stay alive. I really hope that will change.

I know about sitting in that little corner with not much to choose from. I feel I am scared of eating some times..

Hugs to you.

Hugs to us all!!!

I think what bothers me the most is when good friends don't seem to care. Come on, how difficult to make chilli with corn mesa instead of wheat flour. Oh, yeah my circle is getting mighty small.

Hugs to us all!!!

I think what bothers me the most is when good friends don't seem to care. Come on, how difficult to make chilli with corn mesa instead of wheat flour. Oh, yeah my circle is getting mighty small.

Since when does chili even require flour? Grrrrrr :angry:

I like karen's answer. I think you should become the QUEEN of gluten free entertaining and not invite her!

Hugs to us all!!!

People put flour in chili? Whatever for?

My most recent example of stupidity was when I had to attend a business banquet with a Important Political Person. He noticed that I wasn't eating much. When I explained my 'allergy', he scolded me: "You know, you're missing out on a lot of joy!" As if I was doing this to punish myself or something. I really wanted to punch him.

I was shopping in a store that has lots of gluten free stuff(in Annapolis, Md.) and a friend pointed a book out to me called The Essential Glutem-Free Restaurant Guide(triumph dining). Its great. I ordered it from Amazon at a discount. Also I recently wanted to go to The Cheesecake Factory with a friend for lunch and called the day before at 4:00 in the afternoon(chefs busy prepping in the kitchen but not having to rush to get the food out on the floor). Anyway I asked a few questions and we figured out that I could eat the Shepherds Pie(my fav), as the gravy is thickened with corn starch). Also, about the sausage bread: Iwas visiting my son and we went out to his fav. German restaurant and he wasnt going to eat the bread in front of me. I told him to just go ahead. I also sniffed it(its a pretzel type bread). I was just diagnosed in June and in Oct did my bloodwork and it was good. My iron stores were even good. I just reintroduced oatmeal(McCanns) and it seems ok. The only thing i really miss is Vienna Finger Cookies. And I am not eating many cookies and have gained about 10 lbs.(doesnt seem fair).