This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Types & Celiac

GEF

What is your blood type?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GEF Explorer

On my trip to Barnes & Noble today, I was thumbing through some books related to celiac. An author (whom I don't remember... sorry) mentioned that there was a higher level of occurance of celiacs with blood type O. I thought I'd test the theory, if you're willing.

And what is my type??? O neg :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deb Apprentice

Hey GEF,

Interesting theory. It will be intersting to see how many respond & what their blood types are among diagnosised celiacs. I sought it has anything to do with blood type but I put in mine. O pos. Deb :rolleyes:

tarnalberry Community Regular

O positive for me!

tammy Community Regular

O here too! I do follow the blood type diet with about 75% accuracy. I found a strong correlation between my dietary restrictions, health issues and the blood type theory. HHMMM...

I do find that being this blood type, along with having a gluten/casein sensitivity makes life more challenging than for other blood types.

Are there any other O's that share this belief?

burdee Enthusiast

WHOAA!! My husband and I were just today discussing blood type and celiac. I'm also a type O which is the oldest blood type, associated with the hunter gatherer types who only ate meat, fruits, vegies and nuts (which is what I would be limited to w/o gluten-free breads, cookies & pasta :o ). I didn't like the blood type diet book, because they recommended type 0s just avoid wheat gluten, not all gluten. I also didn't get the logic for their various type O dietary restrictions.

However, we also recently discussed in my local celiac support group meeting how people who could tolerate grains had to be a deviation from the norm, since the hunter/gatherer types long preceded the farmer types. Similarly, the type O preceded other blood types, not sure whether A or B came next, but AB is last. Anyway our group all decided that WE celiacs are ACTUALLY the normal ones and all those who tolerate gluten grains are the DEVIANT ones! :lol:

BURDEE

byuiemily Newbie

I've always thought that my blood type is 0 positive, but then I donated blood and they sent me my donor card saying I had type A blood, sooooo I'm going to have to get that one checked out! Don't want to be thinking I have one blood type and then really having another.

judy04 Rookie

Hi,

I am also type O positive. This will be an interesting study!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I'm A positive! Hey, if anyone is ever in need, we have lots of O's around here to donate!!! ;)

Alexolua Explorer

I gotta mess things up too.. I'm also A positive.

Or change the theory to mostly O's and some A's? LOL

kalo Rookie

Type O for me. Interesting study. Maybe I should go back and look at the blood type diet.

catfish Apprentice

Wow, a lot of Os here; add me to the list of O positives. This is very interesting.

rattaway Newbie

Hey Jil, did you mean blood to donate or people? :lol: Just kidding. I found out after my last miscarriage that my blood type was B pos. I thought that was also a good message for what I was going through with the miscarriage. My husbands' cousin swears that she is not gluten sensitive (too skinny, can't gain weight, migraine sufferer, GI problems too). She will however admit that her mother, brother, and sister are allergic. BTW, she is O type.

Rian

Think I ought to show her the results of the poll? :huh:

Guest Lindam

Okay so I am the oddball. I am B negative.

rattaway Newbie

That's ok Linda, we still love you :D

lovegrov Collaborator

We did this same thing on another celiac forum. Got something over 100 answers. The results? The blood types among the celiac responders matched almost exaclty the blood types in the general population. In other words, the O's make up about 45 percent of Americans, and the O's made up about 45 percent of the people who answered the survey.

richard

GEF Explorer
The blood types among the celiac responders matched almost exaclty the blood types in the general population.

Now, that makes sense!

92939 Newbie

I too, am O positive and been gluten-free since Mar 2003

Thanks for all the posts, I enjoy reading them

Jean

gf4life Enthusiast

I am A positive, and so are all three of my children.

My husband who still refused to be tested (even though my kids carry TWO genes for gluten intolerance) is O positive.

According to Dr. Peter J D'Adamo who wrote a whole bunch of books on blood type diets, there is no increased risk of Celiac in any particular blood type. Every blood type has the same chance of getting the disease, although like Richard pointed out, since there are more O blood types on the planet, then it makes sense that there would be a lot more Celiacs with O blood.

God bless,

Mariann

FadedManx Newbie

:blink: My son (age 22 years) is Type B negative...same as my blood type.

and of northern european ancestory on my side....however...his father is

Type O positive....and of Native American ancestory. Not sure how that would

relate other then the northern european line....none of my husband's children

from previous marriages has celiac's.

bluebird Newbie

Type O negative here. I've read the Blood Type books and I thought the most interesting info in them was how blood types developed and about the migration of peoples etc. Yes, I need a type O diet and exercise to feel my best. Even nongluten grains are difficult for me to digest and I can't tolerate dairy either. I'm such a cavewoman.

lynn

kalo Rookie

I have a question. I've never heard of O positive/negative. I just thought I was type 0. Is there a positive/negative with O? Interesting.

GEF Explorer

Kalo,

Yes.. all the blood types have a pos/neg. I found the following list of blood types on howitworks.com

U.S. Blood-type Distribution

O+

38 percent of population

A+

34 percent of population

B+

9 percent of population

O-

7 percent of population

A-

6 percent of population

AB+

3 percent of population

B-

2 percent of population

AB-

1 percent of population

HappyCat22 Apprentice

I'm O negative.

sunflower Newbie

Kalo,

Positive and negative means Rh factor positive or negative (Rh+, Rh-).

I used to learn it at school a long time ago, but according to the saying of one of my teachers that "education is what you have left when you have forgotten everything you learned" :) , I find it easier to post those explanation links than to actually explain :D

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I am 0 negative, BTW, and my boyfriend (non-Celiac) is 0 positive, which means we can have a bit of a problem some day...

Anna

kalo Rookie

Good morning Anna. I had a card once (may still be around somewhere) that said I was type O. Never showed the positive/negative. Is it possible to just be type O without being +/-?. That is definately interesting as I had never heard that before. We learn something new everyday, right? ;) Thanks.

Archived