Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Karen

Out Of The Mouth Of Babes......

Driving through the drive-thru bank machine to make a withdrawal.......

One of my twin boys who is 5, makes this observation:

"Mom, you have to give the banks money before they will give you any back, right Mom?"

Ah, the joys of having an observant child! LOL! :lol:

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Too cute. I love the way children interpret the world.

My daughter, when getting gas for the car, asks me "mommy, are you done passing gas now so we can go to the mall?" She's two.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I am the oldest of my four siblings and childless. My nephew was questionnning me when he was about 8 years old, keep in mind his mother (my sister in law) is younger than me, and he asks me "Aunt Deb why don't you have any kids?' "Well," I replied, "You have to be certain age to have children and I am not old enough yet."

His mom overhead and yelled "Thank you Deb, now he thinks I am older than you!"

"Oh well" I retorted.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

SO CUTE..HOPE THESE KEEP COMING..LOVE THEM..

IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE MY 'KID' SAID THOSE CUTE THINGS..THAT THE BRAIN FOG HAS STOLEN THEM ALL :lol:

JUDY

Judy in Southern CA

My son, who was about 5 at the time wanted me to buy a camping trailer. I told him that my car could not tow a trailer, and that we we would need a pick-up truck to do that. I explained that it would cost a lot of money to buy a camper and a truck. He said "Just write a check".

If only it were that easy. :lol:

Cindy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

My daughter (2) informed me the other day that she is most definitely a girl and daddy is most definitely a boy. I asked her how she knew. She looked at me like I was retarded. "Mom. Don't you know? Daddy has a peanut. He's a BOY!"

Oh geeze...

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

My daughter (2) informed me the other day that she is most definitely a girl and daddy is most definitely a boy. I asked her how she knew. She looked at me like I was retarded. "Mom. Don't you know? Daddy has a peanut. He's a BOY!"

Oh geeze...

:lol: Well, there you have it! :lol:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

When my oldest was about 2-3 years old, her "t's" were "f's".....as in a tree, became "look at the free".

I guess you know where I'm going with this. :blink:

We were in the grocery store, and the little boy in front of us in line was holding a fire truck.

She said loadly.." Look momma, *uck." :ph34r:

One more..

My youngest was holding alot of dolls in her hands and she was asked to open the door....... she said,

"I can't, I'm full of hands". I can totally relate and we use this term often at home and every one knows what it means.

I am often "full of hands". :(

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Karen, that is very smart. Most kids that age think the bank 'just gives' you money. I wished they would. :blink:

Last spring when I was visiting my oldest daughter in Ottawa, I realized I forgot to bring any sesame snaps, which is pretty much the only snack I can actually tolerate. So, I took Emily, my oldest granddaughter (then still 5) to the grocery store, to do some shopping for her mom and myself, but also, to buy myself some sesame snaps.

I walked all over the store without finding any. And then I went around a second time, because I was desperate. Finally Emily asked me, "Oma, what are you looking for?" I told her I was looking for sesame snaps, and when she asked what that was, explained to her that those were snacks out of sesame seeds and sugar.

She thought about it for a moment, and then said, "You know, Oma, if you can't find any here, maybe you can go down to the pet store, I bet they will have bird seed!"

It was VERY hard not to laugh out loud, but I had to do my utmost, because Emily gets very offended if people laugh at things she says.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, love this topic! Keep in mind that I live about a hour's drive from New York City and of course we go there to see Christmas Show and stage shows....

My youngest sibling, Bill, and I are 21 years apart. I often took him out places with me and people thought he was my son. One Saturday I was visiting my Mom & Dad (they live close by) and Bill was being a six year old so I decided to take him shopping with me. I promised him I'd take him to toy store when we were done and of course I got the occasional "when are you done shopping Debbbie so we can go to the toy store?"

At one point in Macy's I was thinking about buying this silk dress. It was a pale Turquoise, wrap dress, not too short , just to the knee). I was holding it up standing by the round rack it was on and there were other women looking at the dresses too. I was kind of broke and was mentally weighing if I really needed a delicate care expensive dress like this; hemming and hawing over it.

I placed it back on the rack deciding not to buy it and Bill is watching me. I look at him and say "Where would I wear that too, it's too nice to wear to work and get ink all over it."

He looks up at me with those baby blue eyes and says, "I know where you can wear it!....If you go into New York and wait on a corner someone will take you out." The woman on the other side of the rack picked her head up and looked at me like I was a freak; eyeballs all popping out of her head. She was probably thinking "what does that mother do for aliving?!?"

"Oh yeah?" I said to Bill..."hmmm, let's go to the toy store now." I wanted to retreat from Macy's fast. I was perplexed: I didn't want to grill him about his answer ; I didn't want to make too much of it but I wanted to know what a 6 year old knew about street walking without actually telling him about the facts of life. I just brought him to the toy store and got him something and never brought the subject up again on the ride home.

When I got to my parents I told my mother this story and she laughed. It seems that they brought him into the city the week before to see the Barnum & Bailey Greatest Show on Earth Circus. They went by auto and he is very oservant. He saw street walkers and asked my parents what they were doing. My parents, not wanting to tell him the truth but figured since he asked they'd tell him something, told him that those girls were waiting for their boyfriends to pick them up and take them to dinner.

Ah ha! He equated getting dressed up with that. Now that he's much older now I told him about this; he didn't remember it.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Deb, that story is hilarious, I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes. Aren't kids great at embarassing us in stores?

That reminds of what my second youngest, Janet, used to do.

When she was three, she used to point at people, and say things like, "Mom, why is that lady so fat?" or "Why does that man only have one leg?"

So, when she did that again, I told her quietly that next time she had a question like that, she could ask me at home, and I'd explain to her then.

So, the next time we went shopping, she pointed at a fat lady, and said really loud, "Mommy, when we get home, we will talk about that lady, right?" I wished there was a hole I could have hidden in.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------