This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Comparing Gluten Guard And Clan Thompson Smartlist

Pilgrim South

Pilgrim South Rookie

Hi,

I am considering purchasing either the Gluten Guard or Clan Thompson's Smartlist to keep track of what is gluten free and what is not for my grocery shopping. Has anyone used either one, compared them or know anything about them. I am just not sure which one to get. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I have not heard of gluten guard until recently. I have concerns about their accuracy.

I know that many people use Clan Thompson information.

lovegrov Collaborator

"I have not heard of gluten guard until recently. I have concerns about their accuracy."

I'm also not familiar with gluten guard, but do you have a specific reason for being concerned about their accuracy? Like, do you know of somebody who's found problems?

richard

Lisa Mentor
"I have not heard of gluten guard until recently. I have concerns about their accuracy."

I'm also not familiar with gluten guard, but do you have a specific reason for being concerned about their accuracy? Like, do you know of somebody who's found problems?

richard

Richard:

You may recall, within two weeks or so a member posted regarding Hellman's Mayo, and stated that Gluten Guard says that it contained gluten.

Other, than that, I have no personal experience with Gluten Guard and only heard of it once in this recent post that I referred to.

floridanative Community Regular

In the beginning I could not live without the Clan Thompson guide. I bought the updated version and I don't regret it but now that I myself know how to read labels and know what products are safe (unless ingredients change) I will only buy the basic version of the program which is not updated throughout the year. I really don't know how so many others live without the program in the beginning. Like Dr. Rudert said, who has time to call all those companies to inquire about gluten and even if you do call, you don't know who you're speaking to but Lani Thompson does. That's why you see people saying different things about different companies all the time on this board and others. Lani gets to the right person at these companies and she challenges what she's told. I've been told (when calling companies myself) something was not gluten free only to find out later that indeed it is and visa-versa. If you have a PDA get the Clan Thompson guide that can be downloaded into it. Then you can just check the PDA when you're shopping.

lovegrov Collaborator

I didn't remember the Hellman's post. Getting old. However, every list I've seen has made occasional mistakes.

richard

lpellegr Collaborator

Clan Thompson is great if you have a PDA because you can check products while you shop, and it also contains certain restaurants and which meals are safe there. Very handy. True, after two years of using it and reading labels I don't consult it as much, but I still find myself occasionally standing in the grocery store in front of something I haven't had before, fishing out my PDA to find out if their modified food starch or other unidentified ingredient is okay.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pilgrim South Rookie
Clan Thompson is great if you have a PDA because you can check products while you shop, and it also contains certain restaurants and which meals are safe there. Very handy. True, after two years of using it and reading labels I don't consult it as much, but I still find myself occasionally standing in the grocery store in front of something I haven't had before, fishing out my PDA to find out if their modified food starch or other unidentified ingredient is okay.

Thanks, it sounds great! There are so many new things out there that I thought it would be a great asset. Can anyone tell me what PDA's they have? I sure would appreciate it! I am about to buy either a Palm or a Pocket p.c. and I actually would like to find one that is used, as this is all I will be using it for,....so...does anyone have any suggestions on what to get (I have a home p.c., not Mac) or would anyone have one they would like to sell? Thanks so much!

jaten Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me what PDA's they have?

I have a Treo 650 and love it....organizer, cell phone, celiac-related lists, and much more all in one device. If you just want it for a Clan Thompson list while shopping, you'll find excellent and much cheaper alternatives.

lpellegr Collaborator

I got the Z22 from Palm, picked it up at Staples. It was $99 and it has all the usual stuff - calendar, memos, room for the Clan Thompson list, and games to keep me entertained when I have to wait. Clan Thompson can give you software for the mac or the pc.

Archived