• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I'm a bit confused or totally bummed. With the new labeling laws, I'm seeing soy in things I never used to.. like Turkey Hill mint chocolate chip ice cream and Lays Stax. I know soy sauce is out but is soy lechtin a problem? Is anything labeled with soy as an allergin a problem? My son is asymptomatic so any clarfication would help. Thanks.

Christy

Soy is not a problem at all unless your son is intolerant to soy.

Soy sauce can be a problem because one of the main ingredients is wheat. You can use wheat-free soy sauce.

Thanks Carla,

No, he's not allergic to soy. I knew soy sauce was a problem. Here's where I get confused. My understanding is that soy sauce is out because it was derived from wheat. Maybe not? Soy by itself is OK then and soybeans are fine too.. if he wants SILK (or soy milk)?

Sometimes I feel like we've got it all down pat and other times I'm completely second guessing myself. Thanks. Christy

Soy is fine. Soy sauce usually has wheat for an ingredient, but it's clearly labeled. Pick up a bottle next time you're at the grocery and I'd bet the first two ingredients will be water then wheat. Some have no wheat and are fine to use.

Silk products are gluten-free.

yep, what carla said. if you look at the ingredients in the items you're talking about, you'll see where the issue comes from - soy sauce has wheat added to it; its soy beans, water, wheat, and a couple other things. (note that not *all* soy sauce is made this way.) soy milk does not have any wheat added to it. (soy lecithin is in that ice cream, for instance, probably both for the chocolate, where it's used as an emulsifier, and for the ice cream, where it's used for the same purpose - it gives those items a smooth texture.)