• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

breann6

Do I Have To Avoid Wheat/gluten In Shampoo ?

Rate this topic

if i don't have DH- or atleast don't think i have it. do i need to avoid shampoo/conditioner and lotions with gluten/wheat/Oats in the ingred?

I do--it's just too easy for the shampoo to get into my mouth while it's running down my face in the shower :D

Lotions are just as bad or worse--they're all over your hands--then you fix your food, lick your finger, etc. That can make you sick--I actually glutened myself with hair gel before I knew better :o

Guest cassidy

It is a good idea. There was a post a while ago about how often shampoo gets in your mouth when you are in the shower - apparently it is often. It just isn't worth the risk of getting sick.

Celiac activist Alice Bast gave a talk recently here in the DC area where she said that despite having severe celiac disease, she does not bother with checking the status of gluten-free in shampoos, etc. Personally, I check my shampoo/conditioner products, as well as lotions. That's as far as I go. My soap happens to be gluten-free but I wouldn't hesitate to use a non-gluten-free soap if I had to since I also do not have dh. If you don't have dh, I think it is wise to check the obvious things that will come in contact with your lips/mouth and hands, but otherwise there is little need in my opinion. (Wash your hands often and thoroughly, however.)

I don't have DH either, but I strictly avoid gluten in my hair and body products. I didn't think that the shampoo rinse water getting into my mouth would apply to me because I hate getting water on my face while I'm rinsing my hair and completely avoid it. But I'll be darned, tons of it does, even if you don't realize it. So if the wheat in the rinse water is getting in your mouth, you're getting glutened.

Nancy

I'm relatively new to this, so I'm not sure about celiac . . . but I do know (from learning about allergies) that proteins in hair/skin products are absorbed by the skin.

There is some discussion of whether peanut oil in cosmetic products can sensitize one to peanuts (the question was raised in relation to diaper cream and eczema cream---which sometimes contains highly refined peanut oil).

I wonder if I sensitized myself to sesame after using a cream on my face every day which contains sesame oil----I haven't eaten sesame for years, but I didn't know that I'm allergic to it. The hive on my skin prick test was way worse for sesame than it was for peanuts--and I go into anaphylactic shock with peanuts. Now, those tests are a guide but can be inaccurate so there is a chance I'm not actually allergic to sesame, but my allergist thinks that given the size of the hive it is safest to assume that I am. I asked him whether I could have developed an allergy from the cream-----he said it is possible, but not likely.

Anyways, this just goes to show that what you put on your body is absorbed. So unless gluten absorbed by the skin wouldn't elicit an immune system reaction for people with celiac disease (and I can't imagine that being the case), I'd say to avoid gluten in skin care/cosmetic products.

Definately stay away from shampoo and lotions with gluten in them! I was one of those that pooh pooh-ed :o the idea that I should check out those pesky lables. I had always had pimple like bumps all over myself and they itched like crazy. When I finally started reading labels and stopped using items with gluten in them, magically the bumps and itching dissapeared. I am a convert now! :D

Not just shampoos and lotions...don't forget makeup, lip balms etc, and toothpaste!

At first I didn't think this was a big deal either, but don't forget that skin is the body's largest organ and things do absorb into it. It's just not worth the risk of accidentally glutening yourself...

thanks! I am hitting the bathroom tomorrow. already confirmed makeup is okay- bare minerals- called and got a list of 'safe' products, all ones i use. i do have these weird bumps in my hair. like pimples but not pimples- maybe thats from my gluten rich hair treatment- ??

I sure hope my 'chapstick medicated' is gluten-free i LOVE that stuff :)

Thanks a ton!

Breann :D

I myself get very painful pimple-like blisters on my scalp,back of my neck, upper back, and forehead when I use shampoos that contain wheat.

They become almost like boils, but when I asked my doctor about it, he looked at me like I am nuts (what's new)

So, I took it upon myself to stop using those shampoos. Cover girl blush gives me those blisters on my cheeks.

My Mary Kay girl wrote the company and got a list from them of what to watch for in beauty products. I am not sure where I put it, but if anyone wears make-up, mary kay or not, it would be smart to get in touch with someone that can give you the list. I am sure you can directly email them and get the same list I did.

Denise

I also replaced all my gluten-free chapsticks and lipsticks that I used before I was diagnosed. I worried that I'd eaten, put on chapstick and gotten crumbs in it. My theory is that I'm better to be safe. It's hardly any extra effort to buy gluten-free personal care products, and if it prevents me from getting sick just once, it's worth it! Not to mention that my anxiety level about gluten is nearly zero because I know everything in my apartment is gluten-free. When I lived with my parents I had a constant nagging feeling that I might get glutened at any time... Not having to worry at home means that when I do have to deal with gluten for things like going out to eat, it's not such a big deal for me.

I've also found that it's the more expensive shampoos that tend to have the all-natural gluten-y goodness in them. For once, using gluten-free products might actually be cheaper than the gluten alternative!

I finally feel I am using all safe products. The diet healed all the DH but my face and scalp.

Suave is a cheap but a good product for hair.

I also found clinique to be very helpful. Many cosmetics change formulas often so they do not publish a list of gluten-free products. If you go to the clinique counter they will call and verify each product you wish to buy for you. It only takes an extra minute. Most of their products are gluten-free and reasonably priced.

My sister swore it did not matter but has noticed much healthier looking skin since changing.

I do want to point out that for Gluten to have an effect on your GI tract it has to get into your mouth. Just getting it on your skin is not enough. Bear in mind that stuff we handle gets on our fingers and those get into our mouths more than we think. I recall cooking pasta and got too close to the boiling water and my automatic reaction was to stick my finger in my mouth to cool it down! So keep it off your face and hands and you won't be glutened. Needless to say, the same does not apply to other allergies that affect parts other than the digestive tract.