• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BamBam

Problems

Rate this topic

I baken brownies last night for a funeral luncheon that our church had. I used a regular mix, got a little bit of the batter on my hands, and my hands itch all day. And I feel like a witch with a capital B! Is that a normal symptom of maybe breating or touching gluten? I feel sorry for my co-worker today, I've just been plain mean today.

BamBam

It probably was the batter. I would make the gluten free pantry's truffle brownies next time. They are so much better then regular brownies. The only thing is freeze them for about a half hour, then cut and put on the plate. They are much easier to cut when partialy frozen. My gluten eating husband would kill for these.

It probably was the batter. I would make the gluten free pantry's truffle brownies next time. They are so much better then regular brownies. The only thing is freeze them for about a half hour, then cut and put on the plate. They are much easier to cut when partialy frozen. My gluten eating husband would kill for these.

I do not bake gluten free items when I am not eating the items. I was making these for a luncheon and I was not going to be there to eat. I can't afford to make gluten free things for events that I am not at, it is just too costly. I guess I will just tell them I can't bake anymore.

BamBam

If it's something you really want to do, you could wear plastic gloves and even consider a dust mask so you don't inhale any flour and swallow. I used a mask recently when we did some drywall work in our bedroom--worked very well :)

You may have inhaled a bit of the flour, and that's why you had the mood symptom.

Or it could be the weather. If you live in a colder part of the country like I do, that is. Now that heat is running, my skin is getting dry and itchy. I've found that using a little moisturizer after I shower does a good job of cutting down on both the dry skin and the itchy. As a guy I balked at the idea of moisturizer, but by golly it beats itching!

Just inhaling flour can make me witchy, I suspect you are correct that you can't bake them treats with gluten in them anymore. :(

I wonder if there are any easy, inexpensive gluten free treats to be made.