Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lister

Flu Shot

they seem to be putting a big push on flu shots this year, was wondering if i personly should get one, to not go into details, i have bee nsick for about 6 months now with no real diagnoisis as of yet, still always in pain blah blah blah but because of this i dont know the state of my immune system, should someone with a comprabrel immune system have aflue shot to prevent the flu or avoid it because the shot itself would make them sick?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lister:

Good to see you back with us.

If you have a change to get the flu shot, it might be a good thing to do.

Hope you're doing better. :)

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Guest ~jules~

Oh yah! I didn't get one this year, and half of october my whole family has had it. I had it for 5 days....I would go get one if you have the chance too....Nice to see you again lister.....

I don't know if there is any way to tell how it would affect you. Some people seem to do extremely well with flu shots. I don't, though, and I have read posts here from others who have gotten terribly ill from flu shots. The two years I did get the flu shot were the the two years I was sickest in my whole life. As soon as I stopped getting the flu shot, I seemed to stop getting sick, including dumb things like colds.

If you are really worried about the flu, be super-diligent about washing your hands (with soap and hot water, not Purell). Wash your hands BEFORE every meal or snack or cup of coffee, wash before you leave work, and wash again the minute you walk into your house from work. Wash as soon as you get home from the grocery store (ever wonder how many germs are on the handle of the grocery cart?).

I have gotten it each year since i was diagnosed with celiac, i am not sure why but with it you are high-risk and can get it when other people are not like at the clinics they have at my hospital, but that was not a good idea for me beause there were so many people that we waited for over 2.5 hours.

But i would advise you get it it should help.

Molly

my dr told me as a celiac i should get both the flu shot and the pnemounia shot. i have gotten flu shots for five years and have never had a reaction!

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)