• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

blueangel68

What Happems If I Slip

Rate this topic

hi im 16 and i was diagnozd bout 3 months ago. im still getting used to everything and i still have things i dont understand.

i was wondering wot would happen if i ate somthing that i thought didnt have gluten but did :P , what would happen to me. would i go all the way back to the beginnig or would it be only a slight set back.

i would appreciate the info.

:D

depends on how often. eating gluten as little as once a month can leave damage at levels that are much the same as not being gluten-free at all, from the perspective of long term consequences. that said, if you're not continuously ingesting gluten, you're not continuously restarting the chain reaction in your gut that is the problem, so it's not a 'throw you all the way back to the beginning', but it is still a major issue.

ditto to the previous post.

If/when it happens - come here for hugs, support and empathy. Both my kids are celiac and I have made some oopsies along the way. Live and learn. Never assume anything - I made the mistake of thinking - since regular skittles were gluten free - all of them were. Til I read the label on Skittles littles (Canada) - wheat .........argghhh.

and the buggers in the cereal industry decided corn based cereal should become "whole grain".. grrr

enjoy all the gluten free options out there including the natural ones- fruit, veges, unprocessed meat, cheese that are not (under normal circumstances) cross contaminated.

Comfort food, fun food with your friends around a movie : popcorn, corn chips with melted cheese and salsa, plain potatoe chips, veges and dip ..... the only limit is your imagination. :)

eating gluten on accident happens to alot of us. when you do it does cause some damage but not as much as if you were constantly eating it or even just once a month. the symptoms you would show would just depend on what symptoms u normally have that helped diagnose you.

When i first went off gluten which was about 10 months ago, i was following it really well, then i started cheating (crackers are my weakness) about 5 months later we went back to my pediatrician to get my levels checked. they were still high which my doctor said should have been normal. during that time i started to feel sick again, but now i am not. hope u made sense of what i just said. lol :P

its been 11 days for me, and i slipped BY ACCIDENT and im feeling symptoms like woah already which sucks, so depending on ur symptoms.....its up to u if u wanna be sick, but to me, its sure as hell not worth it

:(

When you slip up...you get damage to your intestines. Even people who mess up just once a month are said to have the same effect as not following the diet at all. For people who do not follow the diet they are said to be 40-100 times more likely to develop cancer or other life threatening and disabling things....it's not something to mess with. It not only damages your intestines but for people with symptoms it can mean pure heck for sometimes even weeks at a time. My reactions last a good 2-3 weeks.