• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

georgie

Recovery Time After A Glutening

Rate this topic

There is no one answer to your questions as it varies widely from one to another. Some can react, say within minutes to a hour. I believe that it can be from the amount of damage done to your small intesting, as well some may be hyper-sensitive.

It take me about 24 hours to get a reaction and I have been gluten free for over a year now. I takes me several days to recover from brain fog, but the intestinal issues have moderated greatly.....every one is different.

Lisa

Guest melannen

Good question, and IMO a hard one to answer because it varies from person to person.

For me, I know I've been glutened (the symptoms kick in) about 6-8 hours after glutening...usually the next morning (what a thing to wake up to :().

As for recovering, depends on the symptom. I get severe pain in my abdomen that usually lasts for at least 3 days, a burning stomach ache that last about a week, brain fog that lasts 3-4 weeks (coming and going); but then I also get heartburn and migraine headaches that don't usually kick in till a few days AFTER being glutened....all my symptoms last for different lengths of time.

I'm glad this question was asked. I have been wondering about it myself. I ate something with gluten (unknowingly) a couple days ago and am still paying for it. Started with acid stomach and now it's mostly gas with occasional stomach pain. :angry:

My symptoms begin about 15 hours later, usually mid morning if the glutening was for dinner the night before. I have moderate cramps with D all that day and into the next, along with fatigue, brain fog and headache, which can linger on for several days, especially the fatigue. My husband will tell you that I get irritable - but that's only because he gets on my nerves :wacko::)

My husband will tell you that I get irritable - but that's only because he gets on my nerves wacko.gif smile.gif

:lol::lol::lol:

So ..... if I wake up with D and stomach pains it would have probably been the meal at dinner that was guilty?

And my hubbie said that icecream was safe :rolleyes:

I have been glutened 2 x this week. Visitors are staying and I am out of routine also a bit more careless. The last glutening took about 12 hours to happen, and has lasted for 6 days with stomach cramps and pain. Just about recovered from that when I had the icecream last night. Some people don't learn .... :blink: