Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmandaD

Dog Chewing Spray

I bought a product called "Fooey!Training Aid" - to help stop my dogs chewing on tables, etc. It says - contains no alcohol on bottle and the ingredients are: deionized water, sodium benzoate and denatonium benzoate. I know the water and sodium stuff are safe but not sure about the last one.

Would this be a relatively safe product to have around the house...?

Anyone who uses something like bitter apple, bitter lime? Are these okay?

I used bitter apple with my dogs for about a day! It didn't bother me but it didn't bother them either-they actually liked it! :o So I actually tried a "make at home" spray basically of cayenne pepper and vinegar which worked great. Obviously, this will only work on areas that are not absorbent, as it will stain them. My problem was the puppy chewed the corners of our baseboards (bad) and started on the legs of the antique dining room table that my in-laws gave us (really, REALLY bad). Since it is a dark wood-I just sprayed it on and let it dry. Check recipes on-line, I know that there are several make your own varieties. If you can't find a recipe, let me know and I will see what I can come up with here (we have a vet who is very into homeopathic whenever possible). Good Luck!

Oh and by the way-in regards to gluten free-the product you have is fine. The benzoate is a weak acid that is used to 'carry' it's partner-as in the sodium (essentially salt) and the denatonium-this is your bitter and it is actually the most chemically bitter compound known-and it is basically another type of salt.

Thank you for this suggestion. I flipped when I saw that my two Gordon Setters had chewed on my pine wood table in my kitchen!!!!!!!!!!! My husband helped me sand it a bit so it doesn't look so bad adn then he doused the legs with some of that stuff....

I love my dogs but almost lost it when I saw the chewing :angry::D